Definition: A child with a Speech or Language Impairment shall have a communicative disorder which prevents the child from receiving reasonable educational benefit from general education.
The Colorado SLP listserv supports hundreds of school-based SLPs: 1) by providing information and news regarding the profession; 2) by announcing professional development and training opportunities; and, 3) by posting school-based job openings. There are no advertisements from vendors or contract-based companies. This service is also chat-free. To join today, Email Tami Cassel or Email Janet Zimmerman.
ASHA State Education Advocacy Leader (SEAL)
Stephanie Gonzales, a school-based speech-language pathologist working in Colorado Springs, recently accepted the position of ASHA SEAL (State Education Advocacy Leader) for Colorado appointed by CSHA. In networking with SEALs from other states, she contributes to "enhance and perpetuate the advocacy, leadership, and clinical management skills of school-based ASHA members at the state and local levels to influence administrative and public policy decisions that affect the delivery of speech-language pathology and audiology services in school settings." You can contact her via email: Email Stephanie Gonzales
Speech/Language Advisory Committee (SLAC)
- Mission of SLAC and Regional Representatives (PDF)
- The Scoop - For email archive and to join the mailing list
- Special Education Calendar - to see what’s happening in special education
Professional Learning (Speech or Language Impairment)
Regional workshops are provided based on specific topics to address the needs of educators in Colorado. These trainings are open to teams of educators including, speech-language pathologists, SLPAs, special education teachers and related service providers who are interested in the topic.
Using Curriculum-Based Language Assessment to Evaluate School-Age Students: This webinar will focus on how to perform curriculum-based language assessment, beginning with the selection of areas of the curriculum to work on. Participants will explore how to use dynamic assessment to identify a student’s particular strengths and area for improvement.
Using Curriculum-Based Language Intervention to Meet Individualized Goals: This webinar will discuss techniques of using curricular materials to target students’ individualized goals while meeting core curriculum standards in classroom-based writing labs and small group contexts.
Save the Date:
- Metro Northwest Region - November 6, 2017
- Southwest Region (Durango) - November 10, 2017
- Northwest Region (Edwards) - December 11, 2017
Trainings Specific to the Practice of Speech-Language Pathology
SLPA Supervision in Colorado Schools - Fall 2017 Registration Closes: October 23, 2017 Course Start/End Dates: October 9 - December 31, 2017
This is an online, self-pace course that is opened through the fall for any speech-language pathologist who is new to supervising speech-language pathology assistants (SLPAs) in Colorado or who needs a review. This is not intended for administrators who are evaluating SLPAs for performance review, although administrators are welcome to take the course if you want to learn more about the roles and responsibilities of supervising speech language pathologists.
SLPA Supervision in Colorado Schools - Fall 2017
Registration Closes: October 23, 2017
Course Start/End Dates: October 9 - December 31, 2017
Tools and Resources
Organizational Reference Tool for SLPs (XLS)
This document is an organizational reference tool for SLPs to use when aligning IEP goals to standards. Please read the guide tab for further instructions on how to use this guidance.
- Colorado K-12 Speech or Language Impairment Guidelines for Assessment and Eligibility: K-12 SLI Guidelines (PDF)
- Rating Scales (PDF)
- Articulation/Phonology Rating Scale (PDF)
- Birth Through Three Communication Rating Scale (PDF)
- Expressive Language Rating Scale (PDF)
- Pragmatic Social Language Rating Scale (PDF)
- Receptive Language Rating Scale (PDF)
- Stuttering Rating Scale (PDF)
- Voice Rating Scale (PDF)
- Colorado Communication Rating Scales PowerPoint Training
Speech/Language Pathology Assistant
- Colorado SLPA Consortium Contacts
- Technical Assistance: Speech Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) (PDF)
- Practice Guidelines for Supervisors of SLPAs (PDF)
- Speech/Language Pathologist (SLP)
- Speech/Language Pathologist Prerequisites Program (SLPP)
- Distance Learning Programs (PDF)
- Colorado Educator Licensing
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Colorado Speech and Hearing Association (CSHA)
- Metro Speech-Language Network
- University of Northern Colorado, Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences
- Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS):
- Specific Learning Disability (SLD)
- Learners who are Culturally and/or Linguistically Diverse (CLD)
- Technical Assistance Documents
For more information about services for students who have speech or language impairments in Colorado, please contact:
Tami Cassel, Speech-Language
Email Tami Cassel