State Board of Education Members
Members of the Colorado State Board of Education are charged by the Colorado Constitution with the general supervision of the public schools. They have numerous powers and duties specified in state law. Individuals are elected on a partisan basis to serve six-year terms without pay.
Top row, left to right:
- Valentina (Val) Flores (D)
1st Congressional District
- Rebecca McClellan (D)
6th Congressional District
- Joyce Rankin (R)
3rd Congressional District
- Elizabeth "Bizy" Cordial, Director of State Board Relations
Bottom row, left to right:
- Katy Anthes, Ph.D.
Commissioner of Education
Secretary to the Board of Education
- Jane Goff (D)
7th Congressional District
- Angelika Schroeder (D)
2nd Congressional District
- Debora Scheffel (R)
4th Congressional District
- Steve Durham (R)
5th Congressional District
In 1948, the Colorado State Constitution was amended to authorize an elected State Board of Education to provide general supervision of public schools, with powers and duties described throughout Title 22 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. The first Colorado State Board of Education was elected in November 1950 and began its work in January 1951.
Today's State Board of Education is composed of seven elected officials representing Colorado's congressional districts. Board members serve without pay for six-year terms. Every other year, the State Board elects a chairman and vice-chairman from its own membership; the Commissioner of Education acts as non-voting secretary to the Board.
- Guidelines for Public Comment
- 2018-19 Regulatory Agenda (PDF)
- 2018 Legislative Priorities
- 2018 Statutorily Required Reports
- Jan. 17 - State Board of Education supports governor's full-day kindergarten plan
- Jan. 10 - State Board of Education approves Colorado Skies Academy’s charter appeal
- Jan. 9 - State Board of Education members pledge bipartisan collaboration
For past news, visit the Communications Division News Release webpage.
Watch Live is only available during scheduled meeting dates and times.
January, 2019 Meeting
January 9 Archive | January 10 Archive
2019 Meeting Dates
- January 9-10
- February 13-14
- March 13-14
- April 10-11
- May 8-9
- June 12-13 (Off-Site: Salida, CO)
- July 10-11* (if needed)
- August 14-15
- September 11-12
- October 10
- November 13-14
- December 11-12* (if needed)