Welcome to Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement
The Office of Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement is a resource for questions and information about educator preparation, alternative licensure programs, educator licensing and educator backgrounds, fingerprints and enforcement. We look forward to serving you and we thank you for being an educator in Colorado!
Apply for Licenses and Authorizations
Learn How to Apply
Already Submitted an Application?
Educator Preparation and Induction
Information about educator preparation pathways
- Learn more about becoming an educator in Colorado
- Search for an accredited educator preparation program
Information about traditional licensure programs at Institutes of Higher Learning (IHEs)
Information about alternative licensure programs
- Learn more about becoming a Designated Agency in Colorado or adding an endorsement
- Learn more about Designated Agency Reauthorization
- Learn more about obtaining an alternative principal authorization
Information about Induction
Other Frequently Visited Pages
CDE has received several questions on the impact of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) on teacher requirements. To help our educators understand requirements for teacher qualifications, CDE has provided the Teacher Qualifications Under ESSA FAQ.
All Communication Regarding Fingerprint Resubmission is Complete
All educators who must resubmit fingerprints as part of CDE's recent records audit were notified as of May 19, 2017. If you have not received an email, you can check your fingerprint status at any time by logging in to your eLicensing account and clicking on the "Alerts" tab. If your status shows "No Fingerprint/Background Results Received," please check the email address associated with your eLicensing account for communication from our office.
If you received communication about submitting fingerprints, your communication will fall into one of three categories:
- Reimbursement (June 23rd, 2017 Deadline has Passed): This communication includes 2 separate emails, first to notify the educator of the fingerprint and fee requirement, then a follow-up to provide information and instructions for the fee reimbursement process.
- Waiver (June 1st, 2017 Postmark Deadline has Passed): This email includes information to submit fingerprints to CBI without additional payment.
- Fingerprints Are Needed: This email was sent to educators who CBI confirms have no record of prior fingerprint submissions specifically for CDE and must submit fingerprints to CBI for CDE credentialing to meet the fingerprint requirement.
Look here for the latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
- Input Needed! Please complete the survey and plan on attending our Teacher Shortage Town Halls.
- Helping educators teach English Language Learners
During its February meeting, the State Board of Education directed CDE to create new flexible professional development pathways for new and current teachers to better serve students with English language education needs. Learn more about the proposed increase in professional development for all teachers.