You are here
- Select the button below that represents the credential you would like to apply for or renew - or the role you would like to pursue to review requirements.
- Select the application checklist to submit an application.
- Candidates who completed a teacher, principal, administrator or special services program outside Colorado and who are applying for their first Colorado credential of that type, select the Out-of-State button.
alternative, teacher of record, interim, initial, professional, renewals
school SLP, audiologist, psychologist, OT, PT, RN, O&M specialist, social work, counselor
initial, professional, authorization for alternative preparation
Related Information and Requirements
- Background checks/fingerprints (via icon above)
- Find an approved Colorado preparation program
- English Learner Professional Development requirements
- Required for renewal of all professional teachers who hold an elementary, English, math, science, social studies or any middle level endorsement
- Deadline: Sept. 1, 2027
- READ Act -Teacher requirements
- Required of all teachers of grades K to 3
- Deadline: Aug. 1 of each year
- READ Act - Principal/Administrator requirements
- Required of all principals and administrators
- Deadline: Aug. 1, 2024 and every Aug. 1 thereafter
- Special Education/Behavior Health Professional Development requirements
- Required for renewal of all professional teacher, principal, administrator and special services license-holders
- Deadline: June 30, 2025
Content Exam Requirements
first-time Colorado teacher, principal, administrator, special services
substitute, emergency, TEE, SLPA, adjunct, SSP intern, educational interpreter, JROTC and more
administrator, director/special education, director/gifted education
Resources for District/BOCES Leaders
- Accessing & navigating the COOL system
- Educator Recruitment & Retention
- General requirements for all licenses & authorizations
- The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) presents the Model Code of Ethics for Educators (MCEE), a common language of ethics developed by educators for educators regarding professional practice. Ideal for in-service training or professional learning communities (PLCs). Get started with the following resources:
- MCEE video features the educators who helped develop the MCEE and speaks to the importance of the code and its application in the classroom
- DistruptEd is a two-part video conversation with Troy Hutchings and Phil Rogers about the Code of Ethics (Part 1 and Part 2)
- Contact NASDTEC at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments.
The latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
- Colorado House Bill 22-1220 has numerous implications around education preparation for candidates and programs.
- Visit this webpage for more information about stipend programs.
- Learn more about "Multiple Measures of Content Competency" for first-time Colorado teachers!
- TEACH Colorado is a one-stop shop with free resources to help talented Coloradans join the teaching profession.
- TEACH Colorado offers comprehensive profiles of the state's educator preparation programs, application fee reimbursements, scholarships and 1:1 licensure advising.
- Take advantage of these free tools at TEACHColorado.org.