Welcome to Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement
The Office of Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement is a resource for questions and information about educator preparation, alternative licensure programs, educator licensing and educator backgrounds, fingerprints and enforcement. We look forward to serving you and we thank you for being an educator in Colorado!
Apply for Licenses and Authorizations
Learn How to Apply
Already Submitted an Application?
Educator Preparation and Induction
Information about educator preparation pathways
- Learn more about becoming an educator in Colorado
- Search for an accredited educator preparation program
Information about alternative licensure programs
Information about Induction
Other Frequently Visited Pages
Change in Call Center Support Hours
In order to increase the ability of our office to support Colorado educators while simultaneously ensuring the timely and accurate processing of all applications, the Office of Educator Preparation, Licensing, and Educator Effectiveness will be altering the customer service call center hours that our office provides.
Effective June 1st 2016, our call center will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. only. The call center will not be active after 12:30 p.m.
We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding. Please feel free to send an email to our customer service staff anytime to CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us.
Look here for the latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
- New Rules of Regulation: Effective March 30, 2016, newly aligned Rules of Regulation for Educator Preparation and Licensing have been adopted, affecting certain licensing endorsements in Colorado. Please view our Endorsement fact sheet (PDF) for a brief summary of the major changes and schedule for implementation.
- Special Education Generalist: As a result of the new rules of regulation, effective March 30, 2016, the rules for Ages 5-21 Special Education Generalist endorsement have been updated to include a requirement for both program and content assessment. To ensure the orderly transition to the new regulations, currently licensed educators may add the endorsement through a test-only (either PLACE or Praxis) option until March 30, 2017. Educators exercising this option must pass a Colorado-approved content assessment before February 28, 2017. *** Please note the February 28, 2017 date is an extension from previous communications. View the September 2016 Special Education Generalist Rules Revision Memo for further details.
- Educator Preparation and Licensing Rule & Content Assessment Alignment
The Office of Educator Preparation and Licensing engaged in a process to solicit feedback and recommendations relating to the alignment of Colorado educator preparation and licensing rules and educator licensing content knowledge tests with current initiatives, state statue and best practices. Update! : please view our Content Assessment Review Project page for an update on the recently adopted Praxis exams!