CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Virtual Webinar Series: Understanding & Nurturing the Communicative Competence of Learners with Significant Support Needs, Including Deaf-Blindness
October 15, 2020 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM
Session One: Recognizing the Communication Abilities of Learners with Significant Support Needs, Including Deaf-Blindness
This session will focus on assessing levels of communication for learners at the non-symbolic or early symbolic level of communication. The Communication Matrix (Rowland, 2006) will be used to review the assessment process and how to target levels for instruction and programming.
November 19, 2020 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM
Session Two: Promoting the Communicative Competence of Learners with Significant Support Needs, Including Deaf-Blindness
Promoting the Communicative Competence of Learners with Significant Support Needs, Including Deaf-Blindness: This session will present a variety of examples of learners at various pre-symbolic stages and intervention strategies to further their communicative abilities. Phil will discuss the transition from pre-symbolic to emerging symbolic communication and describe interventions designed to promote the learners continued progress at this stage of expressive communication development.
2021 Western Region Early Intervention Conference
A lending library is maintained with up-to-date books, articles, workshop materials, videotapes, and manuals related to the topic of vision and hearing loss.Lending library materials are mailed out upon request.
Colorado Resources for Families of Children who are Deafblind
- Deaf-blindness (CDE) (PDF)
- Deaf-blindness: Educational Service Guidelines (Perkins Scout)
- Hands and Voices (Colorado Office)
- Helen Keller National Center - Rocky Mountain Office
- Parents of Blind Children (Colorado)
- Parent to Parent of Colorado
- Peak Parent Center
- Special Education - Parent Information and Resources
- Special Education - Parents Encouraging Parents Conference
National and International Resources Specific to Deaf-Blindness:
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind (AADB)
- Center for Literacy and Disability Studies
- Communication Matrix
- Deafblind International
- Experience Books (Washington Sensory Disability Services)
- Hands and Voices
- Hands and Voices - Colorado Office
- Helen Keller National Center for Deafblind Youth and Adults (HKNC)
- Interveners and Children Who Are Deaf-blind
- Intervener Resource Page (NCDB)
- Intervener Resources, Videos and Recommendations (NCDB)
- Literacy for Children with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss (Literacy Website Resources)
- National Center on Deafblindness (NCDB)
- National Family Association for the Deafblind (NFADB)
- National Organization of Rare Disorders (NORD)
- Path to Literacy
- Promoting Literacy - Emergent Writing
- Sibling Support Project
- Tarheel Reader- a collection of free, easy-to-read, and accessible books on a wide range of topics
National Resources Specific to Children with Disabilities
Phone: (303) 866-6681
Email Tanni Anthony
Phone: (303) 866-6605
Email Gina Herrera
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.