August 28, 2014
Welcome to the website of the Standards and Instructional Support (SIS) office! As part of our continuing efforts to provide Colorado educators with support tools for the implementation of the Colorado Academic Standards (CAS), we use this front page to highlight new additions to the website. This month we have several exciting additional supports to announce.
Process Guide. On the District Sample Curriculum resources page, we have added a curriculum resource that reflects the processes used by Colorado educators to translate the unit overviews from the first phase of the curriculum project into full instructional units, including: learning experiences, assessment ideas, differentiation options, and teacher/student resources. We hope this guide will deepen understandings of the standards and spark conversations about creating curriculum and instructional units, for all content areas and grades, that truly embodies CDE’s mantra of “all student, all standards.”
- PLC Bytes. This month, the Standards and Instructional Support office is posting brand new PLC Bytes for all of the content areas of the Colorado Academic Standards. PLC Bytes are 7-10 minute presentations or longer segmented presentations designed to be used in Professional Learning Communities (PLC) or faculty meetings. New PLC Bytes are located on the content-specific web pages linked in this announcement. Topics for the latest Bytes include:
- Mathematics (“Enactive, Iconic, and Symbolic Levels of Representation”),
- Reading, Writing, and Communicating (“Close, Comparative, and Critical Reading”),
- Comprehensive Health (“Health Integration for all Students”),
- Science (“Scientific and Engineering Practices”),
- The Arts (“Arts Integration Possibilities”), and
- Social Studies (“Factual and Conceptual Questions in Unit Design”).
- Click here for archived PLC Bytes.
- Instructional-Unit Webinars. In early April, each of the content specialists in the office of Standards and Instructional Support hosted informational webinars on the unit development process and the unique components/aspects of the units in their content areas. The recordings of these webinars are available now. Over the next few months, we plan on hosting additional webinars around the instructional units. Please feel free to email any of the content specialists or myself with suggestions for future webinars.
Keep checking these webpages as we consider our options for increasing the supportive capacity of these standards-implementation resources!
As always, we strive to ensure that visitors find value in their (re)visits to this website; that its content will consistently represent relevant, usable, and timely information/materials. Please let us know how we are doing!
Director of Standards and Instructional Support
- Learn more about the Standards and Assessment Task Force established through House Bill 14-1202.
Most Popular SIS Pages:
- Standards in grade level booklets
- PLC Bytes
- Curriculum Supports
Colorado Academic Standards and Discipline Support
Expanding Student Learning
When we intentionally integrate...
- Coherent and rigorous academic standards
- Innovative and engaging learning options
- Supported and effective educators
- Aligned and meaningful assessments
- Statewide and district accountability
We can personalize learning and ignite the potential of every student.
For Website support through the Office of Standards and Instructional Support, please e-mail Anna Huffman.