Students with significant support needs are highly diverse learners with extensive needs in the areas of cognition and/or learning, communication, movement and social/emotional abilities. The individual may also have concurrent health, sensory, physical and/or behavioral disabilities.
Students with significant support needs require:
- a wide variety of approaches and supports to demonstrate their knowledge and skills
intensive instruction in literacy, numeracy and problem solving skills in order to acquire and generalize knowledge
- substantial adaptations (modifications and accommodations) and/or ongoing supports in order to access grade level curriculum
- access to assistive technology tools to communicate, learn and demonstrate their knowledge
- progress to be measured by observation, data collection, assessment, and work samples
- individualized levels of support across major life activities in home, school, and community.
Creating Effective Inclusion
Multiple Grade Levels; Multiple Dates
The Quality Indicators offer guidance to educators and administrators when developing, implementing and evaluating quality programs and services for students with the most significant needs.
- Archived SSN Trainings
- Connect Listserv
- Extended Evidence Outcomes (EEOs)
- SSN Advisory Council
- Teacher's Corner
For more information about Significant Support Needs, contact:
Email Gina Herrera
Phone: (303) 866-6605