Colorado School Social Workers Make a World of Difference!
School social workers (SSW) are one of the few resources in schools for addressing personal and social problems that potentially inhibit a student’s ability to learn. There are nearly 10,000 school social workers in the United States today, and approximately 400 in Colorado, who realize that students who are hungry, sick, or worried about their families cannot achieve as well in school as students who do not have these concerns. School social workers, like many Americans, are concerned about the growing social problems affecting our youth–including substance abuse, teen pregnancy, HIV infection, suicide, abuse and neglect, and family violence. As a critical link between the school, the family, and the community, school social workers help make these environments more beneficial to students.
School social workers provide a range of services including:
- Assessment and diagnosis of students for special education services;
- Individual and/or group counseling with students experiencing mental health or social difficulties;
- Setting up student assistance programs and providing supports for all students;
- Crisis intervention;
- Encouraging parent participation through phone contacts and home visits with parents who are overburdened;
- Navigation of systems and accessing resources for students and their families; and,
- Collaborating with teachers.
Professional Learning Opportunity!
Online Course: Introduction to Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Planning (BIP)
This online course will present an overview of basic Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP). The course provides a foundation for understanding FBAs and provides opportunity for practice in the completion of FBAs and BIPs.
Who: School Social Workers working with students in a school setting.
See flyer for more information.
School Social Work Links
- Licensure for School Social Workers
For information about Colorado licensing requirements in the area of school social work, please refer to the information contained within Educator Licensing’s Endorsement Requirements page under “Special Service Provider Endorsements”
- Colorado School Social Workers Association (CSSWA); Phone: 970-490-3224
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW); Phone: 303-753-8890
- School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA); Phone: 888-446-5291
For more information, please contact:
Email Julia Wigert