Site Index | CDE Offices | Staff Directory

Adding an Endorsement to a Valid Colorado Teacher or Special Services Provider License

Educators seeking to add a second or subsequent endorsement area to their valid Colorado Teacher or Special Services Provider Licenses may do so by completing a state-approved program at an accepted, regionally accredited college or university and passing the associated content exam; by completing at least 24 hours of relevant college coursework (as determined by transcript review); or by passing the appropriate Colorado State Board of Education-approved content exam. Please see the chart below for specifics pertaining to each endorsement area. Additional information and worksheets (if required for application) for individual content areas can be found via the hyperlinks. Please note that these are not the applications. To apply, click the button at the bottom of the page.

For a list of the state-approved programs offered at Colorado colleges and universities, please see Approved Educator Preparation Programs.



The Following is a list of Endorsement Worksheets for Teacher Licenses

Note: An “x” in a column indicates that pathway is accepted for adding the endorsement. For example, you may add “Agriculture & Renewable Natural Resources Education” to a license by completing an approved program and taking the exam, by completing 24 hours of course credit (as specified on the worksheet), or by passing the Colorado State Board of Education-approved content exam. However, you may add “Chinese” only if you hold a degree in Chinese or have completed an approved program in Chinese. Special Services Provider endorsements can be added via the “approved program” route only.

Also, endorsements cannot be added to interim authorizations. You must first hold a Colorado Initial or Professional License before adding an endorsement.

Content/Endorsement Area Worksheet (if available)

Approved Program


Content Exam

American Sign Language (available by degree only) x    
Agriculture & Renewable Natural Resource Education x x x
Art x x x
Business x x x
Business/Marketing Education x x x
Chinese x x x

Culturally & Linguistically Diverse ** (No Content Exam Available)

x x  

Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Bilingual (K12)**

Dance x x  
Drama x x x
Early Childhood Education x x x
Early Childhood Special Education (Birth-8) x    

Early Childhood Special Education Specialist (Birth-8)

Elementary Education (Elementary Education Content Exam Required) x   x
English Language Arts x x x
Family & Consumer Studies x x x
French x x x
German x x x
Gifted and Talented Specialist x  x  x
Health Education x x x

Instructional Technology Teacher with Instructions and corresponding Worksheet and Work Experience Worksheet

x x x
Instructional Technology Specialist** x    
Italian x x x
Japanese x x x
Latin x x x

Linguistically Diverse Education

For students enrolled through Fall 2012 only.

Linguistically Diverse Education-Bilingual

For students enrolled through Fall 2012 only.
Marketing Education x x x
Mathematics x x x
Music x x x
Physical Education x x x
Reading Teacher** x    
Reading Specialist** x    
Russian x x x
School Librarian x x x
Science x x x
Social Studies x x x
Spanish x x x

Special Education Generalist and corresponding Worksheet  (Elementary Education Content Exam May be Required)

x x x
Special Education Specialist (ages 5-21)** x    

Special Education Specialist: Visually Impaired (Birth-21)


Special Education Specialist: Deaf/Hard of Hearing (Birth-21)

Speech x x x
Teacher Librarian (K12)** x    
Technology Education (Industrial Arts) x x x
Trade and Industrial Education x x x

* Types of credit that may be accepted: college/university; Dantes exams (; CLEP exams (; relevant work experience; school/district in-service; and professional development workshops. A maximum of six semester hours of credit may be granted and applied toward the 24 semester hour-requirement for work experience and professional development activities. A detailed account of these activities must be submitted with the added endorsement application in order to be considered.

** This endorsement cannot be issued as a standalone endorsement. It can only be added to an existing valid license.

Endorsements for Special Services Provider Licenses

Content/Endorsement Area

Approved Program


Content Exam

School Audiologist  x    
School Counselor  x    
School Nurse  x    
School Occupational Therapist   x    

School Orientation/Mobility Specialist

School Physical Therapist   x    
School Psychologist   x    
School Social Worker  x    

School Speech Language Pathologist



(Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions)


For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator

Quick Links


Contact Us

Professional Services & Educator Licensure
6000 E Evans Ave
Building #2, Suite 100
Denver, CO 80222
Contact Licensing

Colorado Dept. of Education
201 East Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-866-6600
Fax: 303-830-0793
Contact CDE