You are here
Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco Resources
Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco
Drugs and Alcohol
- Above the Influence This is the official website of Above the Influence. This site and many of the Above the Influence ads that you see were originally created as a part of the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign, a program of the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
- Colorado adolescent drug abuse facts Data collected by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ - Office of Adolescent Health
- Commonly Abused Drugs Information on the most commonly abused drugs - National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Teen Drug Prevention Resources Teen drug information National Institute of Drug Addition” – NIDA for Teens
- Drugs & Alcohol Health resources site for teen – Teens Health
- Get a Grip on Prescription Drug Abuse Prescription drug abuse prevention for K-5 – Anti-Drug Coalition
- Children, Adolescents, Substance Abuse, and the Media The Council on Communications and Media – Pediatrics
- How Mainstream Media Glamorizes Drug and Alcohol Use Article on media glamorizing of drugs – Narconon Reviews
- How To Analyze a Television Commercial This article provides a number of guiding questions for analyzing commercials – Understand Media
- Lifestyle Risks in Teens Lifestyle risks for teens by Remedy’s Healthcommunities.com
- Public Service Announcements Drug prevention public service announcements (English and Spanish) - National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Resources for Alcohol Use Disorder Comprehensive guide to getting help and understanding the disease
- Role playing scenarios Rx Abuse Training to “Maximizing Your Role as a Teen Influencer: What You Can Do To Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse”
- Shutter Stock Alcohol Effects Alcohol abuse images
- Teen Abuse of Cough and Cold Medicine Peer pressure, warning signs, real stories, role play, etc.
- Teen Drug Addiction dangers associated with substance abuse and risky behaviors you can watch out for to identify teen drug addiction, “Substance abuse and risky behaviors”
- The Glamorization of Alcohol Article that looks at how alcohol is advertised. – Educate Before You Medicate – TalkAboutRX.org
- Alcohol, tobacco and other drug videos – Human Relations Media
- Drug Addiction Treatment Resources Addiction resources for Colorado – Addiction Resources
- Anti-smoking video Anti-tobacco campaign from thetruth.com
- Blowing Smoke: Can Media Literacy Impact Youth Smoking? To help youth recognize and analyze the media messages that normalize and glamorize tobacco use, prevention efforts have begun to incorporate media literacy in the prevention strategies. – Center for Media Literacy
- No Thanks, But I'd Love to Dance: Choosing to Live Smoke Free Read4Health Book Conveying a positive, nonjudgmental message to children, this tale provides techniques for empowering them to refuse offers of tobacco in pursuit of a healthy, active lifestyle. Belle, an exuberant six-year-old, and her beloved Grandma Bee share a great love for dancing. As a result of tobacco use earlier in her life, Grandma Bee must now use an oxygen tank to assist in her breathing. Observant Belle, who cannot imagine life without dancing, consciously makes the lifelong choice to dance instead of smoke. – RMC Health
- Tobacco Effects Tobacco/tobacco use images - ShutterStock
- Tips from Former Smokers The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) launched the first-ever paid national tobacco education campaign—Tips From Former Smokers (Tips) in March 2012. The Tips campaign, which profiles real people—not actors—who are living with serious long-term health effects from smoking and secondhand smoke exposure, has continued through 2015.
- Tobacco & Inhalants Investigate how the use of tobacco and inhalants hurts our body. The cross-curricular activities below follow educational standards, and are sure to keep your students engaged. Detailed lesson plans make implementation a snap. -
- Tobacco Information from Drugwatch.com regarding tobacco prevention.
- Stanford Tobacco Prevention Toolkit (Vaping) Stanford University School of Medicine has developed theory-based and evidence-informed resources created by educators, parents, and researchers aimed at preventing middle and high school students’ use of tobacco and nicotine.
- Colorado School Safety Resource Center Vaping prevention resources.
Many of these resources are embedded in the teacher-authored instructional units.
For additional support please contact James Hurley, Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Content Specialist
Other Health Resources
- Advocacy and Self-Advocacy
- Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco
- Bullying Prevention
- Decision-Making and Problem Solving
- Diversity and Respect
- Goal Setting
- Healthy Relationships
- Human Growth and Development
- Media Influences
- Personal Management
- Refusal and Negotiating Skills
- Suicide Prevention