CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 25 and Friday, Nov. 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
2020 CAS - Physical Education Standards Summary of Changes
Colorado state law requires a review and revision of the Colorado Academic Standards every six years with the first review to be completed by July 2018. Stronger alignment of learning expectations within and across grades had been the primary focus of the review and revision process. This includes additions, deletions, revisions and reorganizations of the standards. Listed below is a summary of the substantive revisions of the Physical Education Standards.
Notable Changes to All Content Area Standards:
The review committees made changes to the structure of the standards that apply to all content areas:
- Changes to the title of the Prepared Graduate Competencies section of the standards document to Prepared Graduate Statements to reduce confusion with competency-based learning systems of instruction and assessment practices.
- Changes to the title of the right side of the standards document from 21st Century Skills and Readiness Competencies to Academic Context and Connections. The sections within the Academic Context and Connections continue to focus on essential skills and relevant connections to the Grade Level Expectations.
- Revisions to the preschool standards for all content areas contain revisions to align the expectations with Colorado’s Early Learning and Development Guidelines and the latest revision of the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework.
Revisions Applicable to All Grades:
- Changes to the right side of the standards document from the Nature of Physical Education to the Components of a Physically Literate Individual.
- Standard #1, Prepared Graduate Competency #1 was revised to read: Demonstrate competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Standard #1, Prepared Graduate Competency #2 was revised to read: Apply movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics to learning and performing physical activities.
- Standard #2, Prepared Graduate Competency #1 was revised to read: Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard #2 Prepared Graduate Competency #2 was revised to read: Participate in and understand the benefits of regular physical activity.
- Standard #3 was revised from Emotional and Social Wellness to Social and Emotional Wellness.
- Prepared Statement revised to read apply personal safety knowledge and skills to prevent and treat injury.
Revisions for preschool through 5th grade:
- Shifting Physical education concepts and skills between grades for better alignment.
Revisions for 6th through 8th grade:
- Shifting some physical education concepts and skills between grades in order to establish greater coherence, particularly in Standard #3 (Social Emotional Wellness).
Revisions for 9th through 12th grade:
- Some concepts and skills shifted to middle school to allow for additional topics to be taught at the high school level.