Colorado state law requires a review and revision of the Colorado Academic Standards every six years with the first review to be completed by July 2018. Stronger alignment of learning expectations within and across grades had been the primary focus of the review and revision process. This includes additions, deletions, revisions and reorganizations of the standards. Listed below is a summary of the substantive revisions of the Computer Science Standards.
Notable Changes to All Content Area Standards:
The review committees made changes to the structure of the standards that apply to all content areas:
- Changes to the title of the Prepared Graduate Competencies section of the standards document to Prepared Graduate Statements to reduce confusion with competency-based learning systems of instruction and assessment practices.
- Changes to the title of the right side of the standards document from 21st Century Skills and Readiness Competencies to Academic Context and Connections. The sections within the Academic Context and Connections continue to focus on essential skills and relevant connections to the Grade Level Expectations.
- Revisions to the preschool standards for all content areas contain revisions to align the expectations with Colorado’s Early Learning and Development Guidelines and the latest revision of the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework.
Revisions Applicable to All Grades:
- Nature of Health Education was changed to focus on the key health skills addressed in the Grade Level Expectations and the Evidence Outcomes.
- Changed the title of Standard 3 from Emotional and Social Wellness to Social Emotional Wellness to reflect common practice.
- Changed the standards so that it specifically identifies marijuana, prescription drugs, and illegal drugs as key prevention areas.
- The revision and addition of social emotional standards at most grade levels.
- The Prepared Statement revised to read apply personal safety knowledge and skills to prevent and treat injury.
- Improved clarity, alignment, and coherence within existing grade level expectations.
Revisions for Preschool through 5th grade:
- No revisions to the preschool through 5th grade standards beyond those identified in the above section for all grades.
Revisions for 6th through 8th grade:
- The committee moved the evidence outcomes related to healthy eating from 7th grade to 8th grade in an effort to support vertical alignment.
Revisions for High School (9th through 12th grade)
- The committee added evidence outcomes that focus on preventing self-harming behaviors.