You are here
Initial Teacher License for In-State Applicants
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants who completed a Colorado-approved preparation program and who are applying for their first Colorado teacher license only.
If you completed a program in outside Colorado, please go to the Out-of-State/Out-of-Country checklist. If you have ever held a Colorado teacher license, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
3 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educator credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding one (1) year (including licenses requested to be inactivated ("frozen"), you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Within the application, you will be asked to list the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- State board rule requires that you submit an official degree-conferred transcript from a regionally accredited college or university that demonstrates a bachelor's or higher degree and completion of an approved teacher preparation program. Additional transcripts reflecting coursework for endorsement qualifications are also required. ( View Transcript Requirements ) Note: Unofficial transcripts are never accepted. Please do not include them in your application.
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation and have been evaluated by a NACES member organization for course-by-course equivalency.
- Obtain a completed Approved Program Verification Form.
- Obtain the results for any CDE-accepted PLACE or PRAXIS exams you have passed. (View contact information for exam administrators)
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years and all teaching experience, even if not within the 5-year window.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Have all the information mentioned above? Begin the online application registering an account in the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Select the TEACHER application.
- By signing an application, you are verifying that the application is complete and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- Should CDE require additional information to evaluate your application or if CDE has not received your fingerprint-based background checks from CBI/FBI, your application will be deemed "incomplete" and you will have 90 days to provide that information or for your account to be updated.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, please check your status online regularly to ensure you have met all requirements.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.