You are here

Emergency Authorization

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This authorization is applicable for most teacher, principal and administrator (superintendent) endorsements, as well as school counselors and speech-language pathology assistants who hold the necessary degree for the desired license/endorsement, but need additional time to meet the requirements for a full license. One may hold an emergency authorization in one content area only.

Individuals presently completing requirements for special education teacher and director endorsements and for all other special services provider endorsements should submit a Temporary Educator Eligibility Authorization application.

Please note: The Colorado State Board of Education must approve all requests for an emergency authorization, which is done at their monthly meetings. Once you submit a complete application, it may take up to 60 days for the board's determination.

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:

$90.00 in-state

$110.00 out-of-state

Authorization Expires:

1 year from date of issue (or as indicated by the district on the authorization form)



  • Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since CDE received your background checks, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

    View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • List the names and addresses of all colleges/universities you have attended.


  • Document employment history for the past 5 years.
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
  • Complete the applicant section of the Emergency Authorization Packet.
    • Forward the packet to the school district requesting your services.
    • The school district must return the completed and signed form to you so you can include it with your online application.

( Download the Authorization Packet )


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you may begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Emergency Authorization application to get started.

Register   or, if already registered,    Log In

For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.