The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system is scheduled for spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This authorization is applicable for non-licensed individuals who hold the degree necessary for the license/authorization sought, but need additional time to meet requirements for a full license/authorization as a(n):
- teacher (not special education)
- administrator (aka, superintendent; not special or gifted education director)
- school counselor
- speech-language pathology assistant
Emergency authorizations are issued in only one content area. If you are completing requirements for special education teacher or director endorsement and for any other special services provider endorsement, submit a Temporary Educator Eligibility Authorization application.
Please note: The Colorado State Board of Education must approve all requests for an emergency authorization - which is done at their monthly meetings - prior to issuance. Once you submit a complete application, it may take up to 60 days for the board's determination.
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
- Allow ample time to request any third-party transcripts or other documentation.
Up to 1 year from date of issue (as requested by the district)
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Ensure you have a current background check on file with CDE. If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI for licensure purposes..
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
- List the names and addresses of all colleges/universities you have attended. Include a copy of an official transcript for each. [Unofficial transcripts are never accepted. Do not include them in your application.]
- At least one must reflect a conferred degree appropriate for the license type for which you are requesting this authorization.
Update your employment history:
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- Complete the applicant section of the Emergency Authorization Packet.
- Forward the packet to the school district requesting your services.
- Include the completed packet in your application.
- Important Note: Individuals serving under an emergency authorization and teaching reading in a K-3 classroom will be required to meet READ Act requirements. (Contact your school/district for more information.)
You are required to self-disclose and include documentation for the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a EMERGENCY AUTHORIZATION application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete, that all requested documentation has been provided and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You then will have 60 days in order to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application, or the application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- If we do not receive your background checks within 60 days of your application, your application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications, updates and/or to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.