You are here
Temporary Educator Eligibility
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This authorization is appropriate for special education teacher and director endorsements, as well as for all special services provider endorsements (except school counselor, orientation and mobility specialist and speech-language pathology assistant).
** Note: A bachelor's or higher degree is required for all special education endorsements; special services providers must have earned the level of degree required for their area of service. **
Individuals seeking all other teacher, principal, administrator (superintendent), school counselor or speech-language pathology assistant endorsements should complete an Emergency Authorization application.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
This authorization is issued for one calendar year and may be renewed up to twice, with demonstrated evidence of progress toward fulfilling the requirements of the full license.
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since we received your background checks, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Complete section A of the TEE Verification Form.
- Forward the form to your college or university designee for verification that you are enrolled in a program and making continued satisfactory progress toward the completion of your special education endorsement program.
- Then forward the form to the superintendent, chief human resources officer, appointed head of the administrator unit (such as the director of special education for your district), BOCES, facility, school or state-operated program to complete the remaining section.
- Obtain the completed and signed form so you may include it in your online application.
- Obtain official degree-conferred transcripts.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you may begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Temporary Educator Eligibility Authorization application to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.