You are here

Additional Services

Effective Date of a License

The effective date shown on a license or authorization is the date on which an application for that credential was determined "complete" and CDE was able to finalize the evaluation of the application. Therefore, if an applicant submits an incomplete application, or if CDE has not received the applicant's background checks or if the application needs first to be cleared by our enforcement team, the application will not be evaluated and a corresponding license or authorization will not be effective until that information has been provided and approved. CDE does not backdate or alter the dates on certificates for any reason other than an error on its part.

"Freezing" or Placing a Professional License on Hold (Inactive Status)

Only professional-level teacher, SSP, principal and administrator licenses may be placed on inactive status.

Colorado state statute indicates that any person who holds a valid professional license may choose to place the professional license in "inactive status." To do so, simply log in to COOL, go to your profile, select "Credentials" and then the credential you would like to place in inactive status. Select the "inactivate" button and complete and submit the application. You may make this request only once during a 12-month period, and there is no fee associated with an inactivation request.

While on inactive status, while the expiration date of a professional license shall be suspended, the online credential verification's expiration date will reflect the date we received your inactivation request. Upon submission of an application to return the professional license to "active" status, it shall be issued for the period remaining on the license as of the date of inactivation. Please note that state statute stipulates that while your professional license is on inactive status, you shall be deemed as not holding that professional license.

Requests for inactivation that are received prior to the license's issuance cannot be processed. A license must be issued and active to be place in inactive status. As such, if you renew a professional license, and the renewal's effective date is in the future, you will need to wait until the effective date to make your request. 

Reactivating a Previously Inactivated Professional License

A person may request to return a professional license in "inactive" status to "active" status at any time by logging in to COOL, going to their profile, selecting credentials and then selecting the "REACTIVATE" button next to the credential details. Upon approval, the license will be issued based on the date of receipt of a complete application and issued for the number of days remaining on the license at the time of inactivation.

Note: Only those credentials placed in inactive status will have this option. If your license simply expired, you will need to select the "renew" button. Too, if you do not hold another valid, CDE-issued educator credential, you will need to submit a set of fingerprints to CBI for a current background check to reactivate the license.


For a copy of your certificate that features all your active credentials on one document, log in to COOL and select the "Print Certificate" button in the credentials section of your dashboard.

Name Change Request

To change the name on your license, log in to COOL, select "My Profile" and select the "Change My Name" link below your name to complete a brief application with the following information:

  • A copy of a government-issued photo id* that reflects your new name      AND
  • Any official documentation --  marriage license, divorce decree or other officially issued court document -- supporting the legal name change
  • Note: Applications submitted without the requisite information will be determined to not meet requirements and will be closed.

*A valid US or international passport or passport card; a valid driver license from any US state; an identification card from any US state; a US military or military dependent's identification card; a US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card; or a Native American tribal document

Verification of an Active or Expired License / Letter of Good Standing (educator credentials only)

Check the status of a credential or application or print a copy of a certificate by logging in to your COOL account. 

Upon request, the Educator Licensure Office will provide a statement of verification / letter of good standing indicating the validity date(s) and the endorsement area(s) of the educator license(s) or authorization(s) held. Each verification is subject to the information contained in our current database; older certifications and/or archived records may not be available.

To obtain such a statement, complete this simple request form:

  • Include your complete mailing address (with city, state and zip code) so that we may verify and/or update your account.
  • Attach any state-specific forms (if applicable) 
  • Do not include copies of your CDE-issued credentials.
  • Note: This form is not for general requests, document submissions, copies of credentials or anything other than verification of a CDE-issued credential.

** Please allow three to four weeks for completion.**

Educator Licensure Records prior to 2002

For information pertaining to an educator license issued prior to October 2002, you will need to contact the Colorado State Archives Office:

Colorado State Archives
1313 Sherman St. Room 1B-20
Denver, CO 80203
303-866-2358 or 303-866-2390

Fees may apply: