Colorado's ESSA State Plan Development
In December of 2015, the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) was signed into law. The title of the reauthorized legislation, which replaces the No Child Left Behind Act, is the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The passage of ESSA provides a much anticipated opportunity to improve outcomes for all students.You can read the Every Student Succeeds Act here.
After embarking upon an initial statewide, ESSA listening tour in the spring of 2016, the Colorado Department of Education shifted its focus to developing a draft of our ESSA state plan and the committee, reviewing, and continued stakeholder engagement work that will support it. On February 10, CDE released a draft state plan for public review and comment. Also in February, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to do away with the Obama Administration’s proposed rules regarding ESSA accountability, reporting, and state plans. On March 10, the U.S. Senate also voted to repeal those rules. As a result of the repeal, the U. S. Department of Education revised the ESSA State Plan template. The new state plan template removes some plan requirements, adds some plan requirements, and changes the formatting of the plan requirements.
In addition to the new template, Education Secretary DeVos announced new guidance for states on submitting their ESSA plans, The new USDE state plan guidance provides states with the option of submitting state plans using the new template or using the old state plan template along with a crosswalk to the new state plan requirements. CDE and the State Board of Education plan to move forward in finalizing and submitting Colorado’s plan that was posted on February 10 and is being revised based on the comments from Colorado stakeholders.
- Feedback on Colorado's ESSA State Plan Draft
- ESSA Hub Committee webpage
- U.S. Department of Education ESSA Information
Spoke Committee Webpages
What's New in ESSA
Recent Guidance from the U.S. Department of Education
- Key Policy Letter Signed by Education Secretary DeVos Regarding Updated Consolidated State Plans (March 13, 2017)
ESSA Listening Tour Report
- For updates on this work and to be notified of future opportunities for involvement, please subscribe to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) E-Newsletter - "ESSA in Colorado"
ESSA in Colorado Blog
Educators, district leaders, policymakers and others who are passionate about increasing educational achievement for all students are invited to participate in a conversation about the implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act. To participate in this conversation, please visit the ESSA in Colorado blog.
Note: You will need an RSS feed reader to subscribe. Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer have built-in feed readers, but Google Chrome does not.
ESSA Blog Topics
- Brief ESSA Overview
- CDE Introduces ESSA in Colorado E-Newsletter
- Education Technology and ESSA
- ESSA Discontinued Programs
- ESSA and Schoolwide Programs
- Live stream the ESSA Hub Committee Meetings
- Highly Qualified Teachers
ESSA News at CDE
- ESSA E-newsletter archive
- Update on ESSA State Plan Development (PDF) (August 19, 2016)
- View proposed regulations for ESSA and collected comments from CDE
- CDE submitted comments on ESSA accountability and state plan proposed rules (PDF) (August 1, 2016)
- Letter response sent to Secretary King on ESSA accountability and state plan proposed rules (PDF) (July 27, 2016)
- ESSA Committee Work and State Plan Development Memo - July 2016 (PDF)
- News Release - Interim Commissioner of Education Elliott Asp statement on Every Student Succeeds Act
- NCLB to ESSA Transition Update (PDF)
USDE Guidance and Regulatory Information
- Accountability Under Title I, Part A of the ESEA: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (January 2017)
- ESSA Accountability for English Learners under the ESEA: Non-Regulatory Guidance (PDF) (January 2017)
- ESSA Consolidated State Plan Guidance (PDF) (January 2017)
- ESSA State and Local Report Cards Non-Regulatory Guidance (PDF) (January 2017)
- ESSA High School Graduation Rate Non-Regulatory Guidance (PDF) (January 2017)
- Final Regulations for Assessments Title I, Part A and Title I, Part B (PDF) (December, 2016)
- Fiscal Changes and Equitable Services Requirements (PDF) (November, 2016)
- Title IV, Part A Guidance from USDE (PDF) (October, 2016)
- Early Learning Guidance from USDE (PDF) (October, 2016)
- Title II Guidance from USDE (PDF) (September, 2016)
- Title III Guidance from USDE (PDF) (September, 2016)
- Evidence Guidance from USDE (PDF) (September, 2016)
- ESSA Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (January, 2017)
- ESSA Dear Colleague Letter (January 28, 2016) (PDF)
- ESSA Dear Colleague Letter (December 18, 2016) (PDF)
- Read more on ESSA
You can e-mail your questions and comments to ESSAquestions@cde.state.co.us.