You are here
Early Literacy Grant
Early Literacy Grant News
Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant (ELG) Cohort 5 Opportunity - Applications Closed
The application for the fifth Comprehensive ELG is now CLOSED. Applications were due Tuesday, December 15, 2020.
Cohort 5 Application Documents
The Comprehensive ELG 2020 – 2021 timeline can be found here.
Important upcoming dates for current Comprehensive ELG grantees:
- January 15th: Submit interim financial report reflecting expenditures to date.
- Middle of year: With ELG consultant, evaluate data and review progress toward funding goals.
- April 15th: If applicable, submit remaining budget change requests for the rest of the fiscal year.
- April 30th: Submit up-to-date budget spreadsheet (in Excel format), including any approved budget changes.
- May 1st: Submit finalized budget for the following fiscal year. (This gives CDE time to review.)
- End of year: With ELG consultant, evaluate data and determine if funding goals were met
History and Purpose
In 2012, the Colorado READ Act established an Early Literacy Grant Program. This is a comprehensive grant program focused on system-wide early literacy efforts. In 2018, House Bill 18-1393, revised the READ Act to expand Early Literacy Grants to include two additional grant programs - Sustainability Grants for those completing a Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant and an Annual Literacy Professional Development Grant.
SB 19-199 amended the Colorado READ Act and incorporated changes to the Early Literacy Grant program requiring an update to the rules. The state board approved the amended rules for the administration of the Early Literacy Grant program during the September board meeting. Updates include increased funding, additional reporting requirements and training for K-3 teachers.
Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant Program
- Assists grantees in establishing instructional systems based on Scientifically Based Reading Research to improve the quality of reading instruction for all K – 3 students.
- Help schools implement a multi-tiered support system to reduce the number of students reading below grade level.
- Provides professional development to principals, teachers and intervention teachers on effective instructional practices and the underlying teaching infrastructures to improve reading achievement among K – 3 students.
- Assists grantees in administering and interpreting approved interim and diagnostic assessments pursuant to the READ Act.
- Supports implementation of school-wide literacy programs as well as programs designed for targeted and intensive instructional interventions.
- Assists grantees with testing schedules and interpreting assessment data.
Timeline: Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant Program
Cohort 1: 2013 - 2016
Cohort 2: 2016 - 2019
Cohort 3: 2017 - 2020
Cohort 4: Spring 2019 - 2022
Annual Literacy Professional Development Grant Program
Current ELG Schools
- mCLASS Acadience Reading (formerly known as DIBELS Next) Growth Tools for 2019-2020
- mCLASS Acadience Reading (formerly known as DIBELS Next) Growth Tools for 2018-2019
- Reading Coach
- ELG Budget Submission (for quarterly budget submissions, budget change requests, etc.)
- 2020-2021 Contact Information Collection (for grantees to complete at the beginning of the school year)
- Contact information change (for use throughout the year)
- Leadership Transition Plan (for Comprehensive ELG grantees)
- Programming Transition Plan (for Comprehensive ELG grantees)
- Literacy Evaluation Tool