You are here

Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHH)

COVID-19 and Special Education

View information for educators and parents to support students with disabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.

COVID-19 resources for special education

Licensing and Employment

Deaf Educator Licensing

To work as a deaf educator in Colorado, teachers must hold a CDE license for Special Education Specialist: Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Teachers in Colorado are required to pass the Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE) test in order to become initially licensed to teach in the state. Teachers in deaf education need to take Exam 24 Special Education Specialist: Deaf/Hard of Hearing.  Teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing who are working with elementary students must also pass the PLACE or Praxis for elementary education.

Apply for Special Education Specialist: Deaf/Hard of Hearing

D/HH Employment

View D/HH Job Opportunities

As a service to AUs, CDE will post job vacancy notices to the Deaf Education listservs and the Colorado DHH Job Board.  Please note that CDE may be unaware of all D/HH openings, please inquire with individual districts to check for job opportunities.

PRAXIS Test Information

Teachers completing a Master’s Degree in Special Education/Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education may be required to take the PRAXIS test 5272.

Learn more about the PRAXIS test. 


Deaf Educator Training Programs and Professional Organizations

Teacher of The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Preparation Programs

Professional Organizations Supporting Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals


For more information, please contact:

Shauna Moden, Principal Consultant
Phone: 303-866-6707
Email Shauna Moden


Find what you were looking for?


If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.