You are here

Out-of-State/Country Special Services Provider

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This checklist is for first-time applicants only. If you have ever held a special services provider license in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.

Plan Ahead

Application Fee:

$110.00 out-of-state

License Expires:

3 or 5 years from date of issue depending on qualifications



  • Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

    View Fingerprinting Instructions )

  • Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification. If you are using a photo ID issued by another state or country, please carefully review the identification requirements as additional documents will be needed.
    View List of Valid IDs )


  • Confirm that you have met all SSP requirements
    ( View SSP Licensure Requirements )
  • List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
  • State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.  This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned.  Official transcripts must show a minimum of a Bachelor's degree conferred.  ( View Transcript Requirements )
  • Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
  • Three or more years of full-time, special services educator-licensed experience within the past seven years OR a completed Approved Program Verification Form. If you have three or more years' post-preparation experience as a full-time special services provider (not on a substitute, emergency or temporary basis), please include in the application copies of all licenses (expired or current) that cover this experience. If you do not have three years of full-time licensed experience, please include a complete approved program verification form, unless your preparation program was completed outside the US (as verification of your program will be confirmed on your NACES member-prepared course-by-course transcript equivalency report).
    Download the Verification Form (PDF) )
    • Please note*: For out-of-state applicants seeking a School Social Worker endorsement, coursework in school law, special education law, functional behavioral assessment and behavior intervention plans is required. If you have not completed this coursework, please view this information.
  • Obtain proof you have completed and passed an accepted PLACE, Praxis, or other related exam if required for your professional area.
    View accepted PLACE content exams )
    View accepted Praxis content exams )


  • Your employment history will help determine the type of Colorado license you will be issued.  It is critical that you include the information below:
    • If applicable, obtain all copies of active or expired special service provider licenses covering the years of experience you have had as an educator.
    • Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
      • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
      • Include detail for all previous educational experience


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.

Then, select the application titled "Special Services Provider" to get started.

Register   OR   Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.