You are here

Exchange Educator Interim Authorization

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This checklist is for applicants seeking an exchange educator interim authorization, which may be renewed only once. To apply for this authorization you must be:

  • participating in an exchange program in a Colorado school district; and
  • be licensed or certified, or eligible for licensure or certification as a teacher, special services provider, principal or administrator in another country.

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:


Authorization Expires:

1 year from date of issue



  • Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

    View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • Obtain your out-of-country educator license or certificate.
  • Obtain a letter (written in English) from the country where you completed your educator preparation program.
    • The letter must be written on official letterhead and state that you are eligible for certification or licensure.


  • Document employment history for the past 5 years.
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
    • Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
  • Complete the applicant section of the Exchange Educator Verification form.
    • Forward that form to the school district requesting your services.
    • The school district must return that form to you completed and signed so that you can upload it into your online application.

( Download the Verification form )


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Exchange Educator Interim Authorization application to get started.

Register   or, if already registered,    Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.