You are here

Emergency Authorization Renewal

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This checklist is for applicants who already hold an emergency authorization for teacher, principal and administrator (superintendent) endorsements, as well as school counselors and speech-language pathology assistants only and wish to renew it. You may apply to renew your authorization any time within 6 months of expiration, but no sooner. You may only renew an emergency authorization one time. If you do not already hold an emergency authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.

Once you submit your application it may take up to 60 days for the Colorado State Board of Education to make a decision.

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:


Authorization Expires:

1 year from date of issue (or as specified by the district)



  • In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for renewal applications.
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you have attended.
  • State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.  This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. ( View Transcript Requirements )
  • Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
  • Obtain proof that you have completed 2 semester hours or 30 clock hours of skills-related continuing education and 2 semester hours or 30 clock hours of knowledge-related continuing education (for a combined total of 4 semester hours or 60 clock hours of instruction).
    • Note that 1 semester hour = 15 clock hours.
    • Your credits must not be more than 5 years old.


  • Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
  • Complete the applicant section of the Emergency Authorization Packet.
    • Forward the packet to the school district requesting your services.
    • The school district must return the completed and signed form to you so you can include it with your online application.

( Download the Authorization Packet  )


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Emergency Authorization application to get started.

Register   or, if already registered,    Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.