You are here

Career and Technical Education (CTE) Applicants Renewing or Reinstating a Professional Authorization

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This checklist is for applicants who already hold a professional CTE authorization and are seeking to renew or reinstate it. (Initial CTEs may not be renewed or reinstated. You first must complete the requirements to advance to a professional CTE.) If you have never held a CTE authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.

You may apply to renew your professional CTE any time within 6 months of expiration, but no sooner. If your CTE authorization has lapsed for more than two years, you will need to apply for reinstatement rather than renewal. Note that the requirements for renewals and reinstatements (listed below) are slightly different.

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:


Authorization Expires:

5 years from date of issue



  • In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for license renewal applications.
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.  This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. ( View Transcript Requirements )
  • Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
  • Obtain copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
    • This is required for out-of-state applicants and strongly encouraged for in-state applicants.
  • Obtain proof of completion of 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours of renewal credit.
    • Note that 1 semester hour = 15 clock hours.
    • Your credits must not be more than 5 years old.
  • If your CTE is current or expired less than 2 years (renewal), complete the Summary Report of Professional Activities Form showing you've completed 6 semester hours of college credit or 90 clock hours of professional development within the past 5 years.
( Download the Summary Report Form )
    • If your CTE has expired for more than 2 years (reinstatement), complete the Summary Report of Professional Activities Form (from above) showing you've completed 6 semester hours of college credit or 90 clock hours of professional development within the past 5 years and complete the Occupational Experience Form (below) showing you've completed either 1,000 paid hours of non-teaching experience or full-time teaching experience in your credential area within the past 7 years.

( Download the Occupational Experience Form )


  • Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 for renewal applicant, at least the past 7 years for reinstatement applicants.
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Career & Technical Education (CTE) application to get started.

Register   or, if already registered,    Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.