These communications tools are meant to be used by district leadership and principals when training their staff or community about Colorado’s new assessments. All resources can be modified and personalized to meet individual needs. Resources will be continually added to this page so make sure to check back often.
Understanding the New PARCC Scores
The following items are designed to help districts and schools communicate with parents about the results for the CMAS English language arts and math tests (PARCC) taken by students last spring. These materials can be shared with parents during parent information events, newsletters or parent teacher conferences. All materials may be tailored to meet your local needs.
- Understanding the New Score Reports (Prezi) - Give this presentation at parent information meetings to help parents understand why we transitioned to new tests, how to interpret the score reports and what to expect for state tests in spring 2016. A campion script for this Prezi is provided to help your presentation go smoothly.
- Parent's Guide to Understanding the New Score Reports (PDF) - Score reports for Colorado's new English language arts and math tests will look different than the reports parents are used to getting. Use this two-page document to help teachers, parents and students understand the new PARCC score reports.
- How to Use the Test Results to Support Your Student (PDF) - This one-page document provides parents with basic background information and simple ideas for using the test results to support their student's academic success
- Sample Score Reports - Provide these sample score reports to parents before they receive their own students' reports to help them know what to expect and how to understand the new reports.
- Key Messages (PDF) - Read through these key messages to help prepare your own materials and presentations for parents. This document will help Colorado educators communicate accurate and consistent information.
- Drop-in Articles - use these entire articles or just portions of them to communicate with educators and parents about the upcoming score reports.
Back to School Toolkit
These resources can help you plan an event to help parents better understand the new state tests, Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS). CDE is providing these ideas to help support districts/BOCES in this transitional phase. These are optional ideas for consideration.
Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS): What to expect for the 2015-16 school year - Use this as a handout at back-to-school night or include a link to it in your school newsletter
English (PDF) | Spanish (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Transitioning to 21st Century Standards and Assessments (PDF)
Meaningful and relevant assessments work hand in hand with rigorous academic standards. Assessments provide ongoing measures of student learning at each grade level. The data from assessments is critical in determining if educational goals are being met and if students are on track to graduate prepared for college and career. The Colorado Academic Standards are the foundation for the state assessments in science, social studies, English language arts and mathematics.
- Accountability Guidance (HB 15-1323) (PDF)
HB15-1323 affects several different education issues, including state assessments, educator effectiveness and assessment pilots. This summary provides details on the changes to school and district accountability.
- State and Federal Assessment Requirements (PDF)
Access this quick reference on the federal and state required assessments.
- Introduction to the Colorado Academic Standards (PDF)
The Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) are the expectations of what students need to know and be able to do at the end of each grade. They also stand as the values and content organizers of what Colorado sees as the future skills and essential knowledge for our next generation to be more successful. Read this fact sheet for an introduction to the CAS.
- Common Core English Language Arts Standards (PDF)
Colorado has updated academic standards in 10 content areas for preschool through 12th grade. The Colorado Academic Standards for reading, writing and communicating (English language arts) and for mathematics incorporate the Common Core State Standards. This fact sheet provides an overview of the Common Core English language arts standards.
- Common Core Mathematics Standards (PDF)
Colorado has updated academic standards in 10 content areas for preschool through 12th grade. The Colorado Academic Standards for reading, writing and communicating (English language arts) and for mathematics incorporate the Common Core State Standards. This fact sheet provides an overview of the Common Core mathematics standards.