You are here
The Education Accountability Act of 2009 (SB 09-163) and HB18-1355 authorizes the Colorado Department of Education to conduct an annual review of the performance of public schools and districts in the state and to make recommendations to the State Board of Education concerning the type of school improvement plan to be implemented in each school and the accreditation category for each district.
About Colorado's Education Accountability System
Colorado’s education accountability system is based on the belief that every student should receive an excellent education and graduate ready to succeed. Successful schools and districts are recognized and serve as models, while those that are struggling receive support.
To support this goal, the Accountability and Data Analysis (ADA) Unit at CDE:
- Calculates Growth on CMAS, PSAT and English language proficiency
- Creates the School and District Performance Frameworks
- Accredits school districts and assigns school plan type assignments
- Reports student outcome data to the public and educators
- Assists districts and CDE staff in using student performance data to drive decision making
District Accountability Contacts
District Accountability Contacts must be registered with the Office of Accountability and Data Analysis and approved by the district superintendent in order to receive all state accountability-related communications, including information on performance frameworks and accreditation. When appointing a new Accountability Contact, superintendents are also granting access to student level Personally Identifiable Information (PII) associated with the accountability calculations.
This form allows superintendents to ensure CDE’s district contact information remains up-to-date and delegates access to state accountability files to a district staff member. If a hard copy of the form is needed, please contact email@example.com.
Local Accountability Systems Grant: In 2019 the State Legislature passed SB 19-204, to provide grant money to local education providers that adopt local accountability systems to supplement the state accountability system. The application is due December 19th. Learn more here.
Accountability Data Communications: The ADA Unit is looking to increase understanding of and engagement with the state accountability system by all educational stakeholders. In response to feedback gathered through focus groups and surveys this past spring, the team is working to improve supports. Click here for a summary of the feedback and click here for an overview of the team's response.
New District and School Performance Framework Calculation Guidebook: The ADA team has released a detailed guidance document for school and district staff that provides transparency in all the steps required for determining the performance framework results. Check it out here!
- Colorado's School and District Accountability (PDF) - 2018 This fact sheet provides a one-page overview of accountability in Colorado.
- Sistema de Responsabilidad Académica de Colorado (PDF) - 2018 Esta hoja informativa proporciona una descripción general de una página de la responsabilidad en Colorado.
- Supporting Greats Schools and Districts for All Students: Overview of Colorado's Accountability System (PDF) - November 2016 This fact sheet provides an overview of Colorado's Accountability System.
- Apoyando excelentes escuelas y distritos para todos los estudiantes: Información general del sistema de responsabilidad académica de Colorado (PDF) - Noviembre 2016 Esta hoja informativa proporciona una descripción general del sistema de responsabilidad de Colorado.
- Colorado’s System for Identifying Schools for Support and Improvement (PDF) - July 2018 The purpose of this resource is to summarize what measures and metrics are evaluated in identifying schools for support and improvement.
- Accountability Clock (PDF) - October 2018 This fact sheet summarizes the implications if a school or district are identified as Priority Improvement or Turnaround for consecutive years.
- Scale Scores and Mean Scale Scores (PDF) - July 2017 This resource provides guidance on interpreting various performance levels and accountability metrics, most notably mean scale scores and the percent at benchmark metric.
Technical Resources and Documents
- District Accountability Handbook (PDF) - August 2021 This handbook provides an outline of the requirements and responsibilities for the state, district, and school stakeholders in the state’s accountability process.
- Priority Improvement and Turnaround Districts and Schools: A Supplement to the CDE District Accountability Handbook (PDF) - August 2018 This supplement provides further details on the requirements and responsibilities for the state, district, and school stakeholders for those identified as Priority Improvement and Turnaround.
- Accountability Contact Appointment Form (Word Template) - June 2018 This form allows superintendents to ensure CDE’s district contact information remains up-to-date and delegates access to state accountability files to a district staff member.
- Drop-in Article to Parents about School/District Ratings (Word Template) - October 2018 School/district leadership may customize this basic article with details about their school/district’s rating, kudos or encouragement to staff, and information about plans to ask for reconsideration of the rating, as desired or applicable.
- Non-Assessment Data Resource - September 2020 The purpose of this document is to support districts with the adoption and use of non-assessment data to inform school improvement efforts.
- Participation and Accountability FAQs (PDF) - May 2017 This fact sheet provides the answers to frequently asked questions about the impact of assessment participation on state accountability.
- For more information on the state accountability laws, please visit our Statute, Regulations, and Policy page.
- For more information on research surrounding state accountability, please visit our Research page.
- For more information about AEC Accountability, please visit our Alternative Education Campus Accountability page.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.