Purposeful Play Book Study and Impacts on Practice
Educators across the state are invited join us as we learn together about the power behind purposeful play in the Kindergarten classroom. This book study will provide opportunities for educators to reflect, discuss and implement practices in their Colorado schools and classrooms to enable all students to learn and work through play while meeting the standards.
Registration is required and books will be available for the first 50 participants registered who do not already have the book, Purposeful Play by Kristine Mraz, Alison Porcelli, Cheryl Tyler. Those wanting to join the book study after that said number, will be responsible for purchasing their own book.
The book is divided into three sections and study groups will meet to correlate with those sections as well as a follow-up meeting time to share impacts on your practice. Reading, reflecting and study guides will be assigned along with a final “impact on practice” reflection and book study evaluation. These must all be completed in order to receive a certificate for 15 contact hours.
Which book study format works best with your schedule?
- Face-to-Face Colorado Springs (Southside) Mondays 5:00-7:00 (10/23, 11/13, 12/11, 2/5) Space is limited.
- Online Community Thursdays 4:00-6:00 (10/19, 11/16, 12/14, 2/8)
- Social Media: Facebook Group (ongoing October-February)
The book study is now full and registration is closed. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Enhancing Early Mathematics Project
Kids Play Math, in partnership with the Colorado Department of Education, is offering an initiative, Enhancing Early Mathematics, for Colorado early childhood educators. The purpose of the project is to initiate and sustain improvements in teaching mathematics to our youngest learners by offering opportunities for teachers to learn about the most important principles of early math learning along with many practical ways in which these can be integrated into instruction.
The training itself consists of a one-day workshop and follow-up webinars in order to support the continuation and extension of your learnings. The onsite workshop will be held at the following locations:
- SOUTHWEST REGION: Cortez - September 29, 2017, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Beech Street Preschool, 510 N Beech St, Cortez, CO 81321
- SOUTHEAST REGION: La Junta - October 13, 2017, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Otero Junior College Student Center, 1802 Colorado Ave, La Junta, CO 81050
- NORTHWEST REGION: Grand Junction - October 20, 2017, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Colorado Mesa University, University Center 2nd Floor Ballroom, 1100 North Avenue, Grand Junction, CO 81501
- NORTH METRO: Loveland - November 3rd, 2017, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Thompson School District Board Room, 800 S Taft Ave, Loveland, CO 80537
- NORTHEAST REGION: Sterling - November 10, 2017, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Hagen Administration Center, 201 Hagen Street, Sterling, CO 80751
- DENVER METRO: TBD, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Trainings will be capped at 60 participants. Registration is first come, first served.
PLEASE NOTE: This training is intended for preschool and kindergarten teachers and their coaches and/or administrative supervisors. We encourage districts to plan for small teams to attend. Learn more about the training and contact your Kindergarten or CPP Regional Support Specialist if you have any questions about your teams!
Kindergarten School Readiness Virtual Support
School Readiness Virtual Office Hours
To support getting the school year is off to a great start, the Kindergarten School Readiness team will host virtual office hours in August, September, October and November. Our office hours will cover a variety of topics including an overview of school readiness requirements, using the GOLD® Kindergarten Entry Assessment (KEA) Survey, running reports and creating school readiness plans as well as understanding and using you school readiness assessment data. All online office hours will include time for participants to ask questions.
Office hours will be held for one hour on the following days starting promptly at the following times:
- School Readiness Requirements and Overview
- Monday, August 7th @ 4:00
- Wednesday, August 23rd @ 4:00
- Using the GOLD® Kindergarten Entry Assessment (KEA) Survey
- Wednesday, September 6th @ 4:15
- Thursday, September 28th @ 4:00
- Finalizing Checkpoints, Running Reports, and Creating Readiness Plans
- Tuesday, October 3rd @ 4;15
- Monday, October 23rd @ 4:00
- Using Your School Readiness Data
- Wednesday, November 8th @ 4:00
You do not need to register to attend. To participate, simply use the following link to join us at the time of the virtual meeting: https://enetlearning.adobeconnect.com/schoolreadiness/.
Kindergarten School Readiness Update Webinar
The Kindergarten School Readiness Team hosted a School Readiness Updates webinar on Monday, May 22nd. The webinar included information about the school readiness assessment menu, data reporting requirements for 2017-18, reimbursement for 2017-18 and time for participants to ask questions. The slides and recording of the webinar are now available.
Kindergarten School Readiness Summer Training
As our summer Learning Labs come to a close, we would like to thank everyone who attended for their great contributions to Colorado's kindergartens! The Learning Labs supported participants with learning about the MyTeachingStrategies™ upgrade, school readiness requirements and, kindergarten best practices and play. The School Readiness team is available to support districts and schools with customized training and support for kindergarten teachers and elementary principals. For questions about training or to schedule visit, please contact us.
View the Recording of the Q & A Webinar about the Transition to MyTeachingStrategies™
The Office of Early Learning and School Readiness hosted a Question and Answer webinar with Teaching Strategies on Wednesday, March 15th at 4:00 PM for preschool teachers, kindergarten teachers and administrators. We covered a few of the most frequently asked questions about the upgrade and took a tour of the MyTeachingStrategies™ system.
View the Recording of the Kindergarten School Readiness Data Webinar
An informational webinar was hosted on Wednesday, March 15th at 2:00 PM to support school districts in preparing for the implementation of school readiness data reporting for the SY 2017-18. The webinar include an overview of the school readiness data reporting requirements and time for participants to ask questions. For more information, please view the recorded webinar.
The Power of Kindergarten
The two day workshops focused on using children’s natural curiosity and various classroom tools to build schema across contents and developing classroom environments and experiences that are rich in oral language and vocabulary were a huge success! We would like to thank Sue Kempton and all the attendees for their commitment and dedication to Colorado's students.