You are here
Retaining Teachers Grant Program
About the Grant Program
The Retaining Teachers Grant Program was created by HB18-1412 and provides school districts, BOCES, and charter schools the opportunity to implement strategies to improve their ability to successfully retain teachers. This grant program does not include funds for teacher recruitment activities. For more information on grant funds available for teacher recruitment, read about the Quality Teacher Recruitment Program and the Stipends for Rural Educators opportunities offered through the Colorado Center for Rural Education.
CDE submits an annual statutorily required report to the State Board of Education, the House and Senate Education Committees of the General Assembly, and the Governor's Office. These reports can be accessed here.
- CDE is seeking peer reviewers to read and score proposals. It is preferred that reviewers have experience in the areas of educator development, teacher induction, human resources, recruitment and retention, professional development, and/or teacher leadership. Each reviewer will receive a packet containing guidance, a copy of the Request for Applications, applications, and the scoring rubric. Reviewers will read and assess their assigned applications individually between September 26 and October 7 and then participate in team discussion in a face-to-face full day setting on Tuesday, October 8.
- Expectations of Reviewers and Covered Costs
- Each reviewer will receive a packet containing guidance, a copy of the Request for Applications, applications, and the scoring rubric.
- Reviewers will read and assess their assigned applications individually and then, in a face-to-face full day setting, participate in team discussions.
- The review process can take up to approximately 20 hours of active time to complete. The time commitment can vary depending on simplicity or complexity of individual applications, the travel distance to and from the team
- discussion review day, and the length of each review team’s discussion. The review team discussions are scheduled for a full day; however, team members are free to leave if their team finishes earlier.
- The Retaining Teachers Grant Program will reimburse reviewer travel expenses which may include mileage, lodging, and parking. Breakfast and lunch is provided the day of the review team discussions. Honorarium payment is not available.
- Conflicts of Interest
- Interested parties are ineligible to serve as a reviewer if they:
- Have assisted in the preparation of an application in this competition or are employed by an eligible applicant that intends to apply, or that has already submitted a proposal in this current competition.
- Have agreed to serve as an employee or consultant, or otherwise provide assistance or advice to an applicant, or have been offered an opportunity to do so and have not yet accepted or declined, based on whether a grant is awarded.
- Have a personal financial interest affected by the outcome of this grant competition.
- If you are available and interested in participating in this review process, please complete a survey regarding your experience and areas of expertise as soon as possible but no later than Tuesday, September 24. This is the first step in the process to select reviewers. Responding with your availability does not guarantee your participation. Responses after the deadline will be considered for reviewer alternates, should the need arise.
- 2019-20 Request for Proposals is now available! Proposals are due September 12, 2019.
Cohort 1: The following local education providers were awarded a total of $2,742,307 to be used over a period of three years (2018-19 through 2020-21 fiscal years):
- Aurora Public Schools
- Denver Public Schools
- Garfield School District RE-2
- Garfield School District No. 16
- Hayden School District RE-1
- Montezuma-Cortez RE-1
- Northeast Colorado BOCES
- San Luis Valley BOCES
- West Grand School District 1-JT
Cohort 2: Approximately $2.87 million is available to be awarded for use in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years. Download the RFP for more detailed information.