You are here
Teacher of Record License and Program
The Teacher of Record License, Teacher of Record Program was created by HB 18-1309 in response to the teacher shortage across the state. When a district, BOCES or charter is in need of a licensed teacher in a designated shortage area, and no qualified applicants have applied for the position, a teacher candidate with a Teacher of Record License, and with support from their associated approved Colorado educator preparation program, may be hired to fill the position. All Teacher of Record are available only through Colorado approved educator preparation programs (out of state programs are not eligible) and must be approved by the department in order for the individual to be eligible to apply for a Teacher of Record License. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see an outline of plan approval process, including links to download required documents.
Please note, these programs are available only through approved Colorado educator preparation programs. Before hiring educators under this program, please make sure they are actively enrolled in a Colorado approved educator preparation program.
An informational webinar was recorded on May 7, 2019. Click here to view the recorded webinar.
Designated shortage areas can be found on the Educator Shortage Survey Results webpage. Please note that Special Education and SSP's do not qualify for Teacher of Record.
Teacher of Record License
- This license type is available only to individuals in an undergraduate traditional teacher preparation program at an approved Colorado institution of higher education
- The license allows these individuals to serve as the teacher of record in his/her own classroom while completing up to the remaining 36 hours of his/her Colorado teacher preparation program
- This license can only be issued to individuals enrolled in a CDE-approved Teacher of Record or Grow Your Own Educator Program.
- This license can be issued with any initial endorsement area EXCEPT Special Education.
Teacher of Record Program
- The hiring district/BOCES/charter school and the approved Colorado institution of higher education collaboratively create an individualized program for the individual to complete his/her teacher preparation program while employed as the teacher of record.
- Both the district/BOCES/charter school and Colorado institution of higher education are responsible for providing support services and training.
- All partners are responsible for reporting required information to CDE annually.