Pilot districts of the Colorado State Model Evaluation System revealed the challenges of managing paperwork inherent in implementing new educator evaluation system and asked CDE if a data management system, that would streamline this paperwork burden, could be made available. As a result, in March 2013, CDE conducted an open bid and review process for selection of the vendor to create an online performance management system. RANDA was selected through that competitive process. RANDA is a private corporation. It is not affiliated with nor has it received funding from the Gates Foundation.
The Colorado State Model Performance Management System is an optional tool that will support districts in the implementation, data collection and effective use of the Colorado State Model Evaluation System. The Colorado State Model Performance Management System will be ready for the 2014-2015 school year. The performance management system will include electronic interfaces and data collection tools for the state model evaluation rubrics, measures of student learning/outcomes, final effectiveness ratings, and aggregate reports to support principals and district leaders to provide useful and actionable feedback and possible professional development opportunities for educators. Note:The use of RANDA to support districts in their implementation is completely optional. Districts do not have to participate in RANDA even if they want to use the state model evaluation system.
Sign-up to use the Colorado State Model Performance Managment System
The Colorado State Model Performance Management System (as designed) is free for districts/BOCES using the state model system. CDE plans to sustain the licensing costs to support districts/BOCES that adopt the RANDA powered system. However, if a district wants to further customize elements of the system beyond the state contract, districts will need to work with RANDA directly to determine pricing for local enhancements.To sign up, your district will need to fill out the "Intent to Implement form." Please contact Joslyn Robich for more information at Robich_Joslyn2@cde.state.co.us. To access FAQs with additional information to aide you in your decision, click here.
Training and Support
Several districts/BOCES have committed to using the Colorado State Model Performance Management System for the 2014-15 school year and are now receiving training. The weekly town halls began on July 1 to support districts on setup and implementation of the system. To listen to an archived verision of the town halls, click on the links below.
- July 1: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p141zkhveg9/
- July 8: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p1m4sn9f6ah/
- July 15: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p8yx7piynmz/
- July 29: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p9kwe4740n7/
- August 18: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p6f44r5016b/
- August 26: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p1mubfq3cst/
- September 2: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p9hpjkr4oi2/
Resources for Colorado State Model Performance Management System Users
To begin using the system, each district needs to create an Excel file with all users they anticipate entering the system. Districts may either use user upload template or submit one with the equivalent information as an export from their HR system. Districts may submit templates through October. Once a template is submitted, it will take one week to process before users can enter the system.
- Download instructions for completing the user upload template
- Once your file template is complete, please email Joslyn Robich at Robich_joslyn2@cde.state.co.us (note: do not send Joslyn the file template). She will then initiate the secure file transfer process to submit the file.
Watch a video preview of the Colorado State Model Performance Management System:
The development of the Colorado State Model Performance Management System will be completed in four stages, each defined as a module. The four modules are:
- Module 1: Creating web-based evaluation rubrics (the 50 percent professional practices)
- Module 2: Creating web-based way to capture the measures of student learning (50 percent student learning/growth)
- Module 3: Automating the overall calculation for the final effectiveness rating
- Module 4: Creating and automating reports to include useful and actionable feedback for educators
The Colorado State Model Performance Management System will be ready for the 2014-2015 school year.* A beta-test was conducted in spring 2014. Local Access Managers (LAMs) will have access to the system in July 2014 to set up CDE identity management. (For more information on LAMs and their roles, please visit the CDE Identity Management webpage. Educators and districts using the Colorado State Model Online Performance Management System are anticipated to be able to use the system in early August 2014. For more information, please download our fact sheet.
In May 2013, CDE asked educators invested in the Colorado State Model Evaluation System to join the Colorado State Model Performance Management SystemAdvisory Council to better inform the development of this tool. Advisory Council participants have had the opportunity to learn more about the online system development and participate in feedback sessions via webinar.