You are here
About the State Board
The mission of the Colorado State Board of Education is to provide all of Colorado’s children equal access to quality, thorough, uniform, well-rounded educational opportunities in a safe and civil learning environment.
All children in Colorado will become educated and productive citizens.
- 2020 Legislative Priorities (1/8/20)
- 2018 Legislative Priorities (12/13/18)
- 2017 Legislative Priorities (2/8/17)
Powers and Duties
The Colorado State Board of Education is the governing board of the Colorado Department of Education. Within its jurisdiction, the State Board:
- Provides educational leadership for the state;
- Appoints the Commissioner of Education and the Director of State Board Relations;
- Employs personnel of the Department of Education;
- Approves the Department of Education budget;
- Makes rules, regulations, and policies that govern the Colorado Department of Education, public education including pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, adult education, and public libraries;
- Accredits public school districts;
- Facilitates the provision of library services to the citizens of Colorado through the State Library;
- Distributes federal and state funds;
- Regulates educator licensing;
- Supervises adult basic education and public libraries;
- Appoints advisory committees;
- Grants waivers of Colorado education law and regulations;
- Exercises judicial authority with regard to appeals by charter schools; and
- Submits recommendations for educational improvements to the General Assembly and Governor
Duties and Related Costs
C.R.S. 22-2-107(1)(a) provides that the state board has the power “[t]o perform all duties delegated to it by law.” Various statutes specifically require State Board members to represent the SBE on committees. The State Board’s Operating Procedures state that the State Board selects (and the Chairman appoints) members to serve for a two-year period on committees established by statute and organizations/committees to which the State Board wishes to designate a board member liaison.
See also: State Board Relations Office
For additional information, e-mail: email@example.com.