The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education provides support to Colorado school districts, schools, and educational leaders in the academic, linguistic, and social-emotional challenges and opportunities of culturally and linguistically diverse students to ensure equitable access to grade level standards and ensure a well-rounded education.
Title VI - Indian, Native Hawaiian, and Alaska Native Education
The Office of Indian Education (OIE), located in the Office of the Under Secretary (OUS), was created in 1972 under the Indian Education Act. The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015 amends the Indian education programs in OIE as Title VI, Part A of Elementary and Secondary Education Act. The Federal legislation focuses on the education of American Indians, Alaska Natives and Native Hawaiians for preschool to graduate school.
Title VI is designed to ensure that American Indian, Native Hawaiian and Alaska Native students meet challenging state academic content and student academic achievement standards, as well as meet the unique culturally related needs.
To see the complete text of the ESSA statute, please click here.
- Side-by-Side Comparison of Title VII in NCLB to the Current Law: Title VI in ESSA
- Changes in Administration to Title VI formula grant
Annual Performance Report (APR)
- Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs
- Federally Recognized Tribes by the Department of the Interior (PDF)
- Building Relationships with Tribes: A Native Process for ESSA Consultation (PDF)
- Yearly Affirmation Form
- ESSA FAQs (PDF)
- Native Knowledge 360-Framework for Essential Understandings about American Indians
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Office of Indian Education Programs
- National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)
- Office of Indian Education
- National Indian Education Association
- Journal of American Indian Education
- Equity Tool Kit (PDF)
- Strengthening Parent Involvement Toolkit (PDF)
- EL Guidebook on Designing, Delivering and Evaluating Services for English Learners
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition
- Community for Accredited Online Schools
- American Indian College Fund
- American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC)
- Scholarship Guide for Native American Students
- Native American College Student Support Guide
- Financial Aid for Minority Students
For Additional Information Contact
Title VI Coordinator