You are here
Guidance for Potential Schools and Authorizers
Legislation and Rule direct the Office of Blended & Online Learning to develop and implement a process for certifying multi-district online schools. Only multi-district online schools and their relationship with the Authorizer must be certified by the Office of Blended & Online Learning .
- Certification is not required for a single-district online school or program. Please see below for single district online school or program information.
- Certification is not required for supplemental online programs.
- Online schools that serve a student population drawn from two or more school districts must apply for certification.
- 2021 Certification Application for Multi-district Online Schools (DOC)
- 2021 Rubric for Certification Application for Multi-district Online Schools (PDF)
The next opportunity for certification will be January 1, 2021.
Amendments to Certification are accepted January 1, 2021 through April 1, 2021
Certification is not required for single-district online programs or schools. However, prior to beginning operations a proposed program must submit an Application of Recognition to the Office of Blended & Online Learning, which will determine whether or not the proposed program meets the CDE definition of an "Online School or Program." A program that meets the definition will be "recognized" as an "Online School or Program" in the state of Colorado.
Additionally, a district that wishes to operate a single-district online school must apply for a school code, operate with its own administrator, a separate budget and a complete instructional program. An online school is responsible for all state and federal reporting requirements and accountability processes. Any online program with one hundred or more students shall be considered an online school.
Applications of Recognition will be accepted from January 2, 2021 through June 1, 2021.
2021-Application of Recognition for Single-district Online School/Program-Coming soon, please check back.
All applications should be sent via email to:
Renee Martinez at email@example.com
Application Support and Assistance:
2020 Recorded Webinars:
- July, 15, 2020 - 2020 Student October Count Webinar for Online Schools and Programs
- January 29, 2020 - Beyond High School- CDE’s resources to emPoWeR learners webinar
- PDF version of this PowerPoint
2019 Recorded Webinars:
- August 29, 2019 - 2019 Student October Count Webinar
- August 9, 2019 - Supporting English Learners in Online Schools and Programs Webinar
- January 31, 2019 - Career & Technical Education (CTE)-Online Schools Webinar
2018 Recorded Webinars:
UIP (Unified Improvement Planning Resources) Training Opportunities:
CDE Calendar of Events/Conferences
This page provides links to meetings, workshops, conferences, etc. and lists deadlines and other key dates provided by CDE staff.
CDE Professional Development
This page provides a comprehensive search tool for Colorado Department of Education-hosted professional development opportunities