You are here
Farm to School and Farm to Summer
Farm to School is a program focused on connecting communities to healthy, fresh and local food by influencing change within who and how food is purchased, nutrition and agricultural education and supporting schools in establishing school gardens and agricultural programs.
- The Benefits of Farm to School
- Farm to School provides a Win-Win approach, harvesting a life-long impact on kids, farmers and communities.
- Tell Us Your Story
- Your voice, your story and your passion are powerful. Impact and influence Farm to School and Farm to Summer in Colorado by sharing your story.
Farm To School Legislative Updates
With the passage of Colorado HB-1132 during the 2019 legislative session, the Local Food Program will offer selected School Food Authorities (SFAs) a reimbursement for the purchase of Colorado grown, raised, or processed products. This program encourages SFAs to procure local products, foster nutrition education, bolster farm to child nutrition activities, and support Colorado producers and farmers. SFAs that participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) are eligible to apply for this opportunity. Available funding ($500,000 for SY 20-21) will be distributed as a reimbursement to SFAs that are selected during the application process. CDE will prioritize SFAs that:
- Demonstrate a commitment to local purchasing or food and agricultural education;
- Have a kitchen with the ability to store, prepare, and serve local food products;
- Have greater than 25% of its students eligible for free or reduced-price meals.
- Oct. 7: Application Opens
- Oct. 22: Informational Webinar
- Dec. 1: Application Deadline
- March 1: SFAs Selected
- Aug. 1: SFAs Report to CDE
CO Proud School Meal Day
Join us on Wednesday, September 18 for Colorado Proud School Meal Day which celebrates Colorado agriculture and educates school children about healthy eating.Let us know what activities you have planned for the day. This information will be used to update the online map showcasing all the schools and districts participating in Colorado Proud School Meal Day.
Use this new Colorado Produce resource for Colorado Kids and view other ideas, resources, videos to make Colorado Proud School Meal Day easy to implement in your schools and communities. Contact Wendy White for more information or if you would like the new Colorado Proud artwork.
Mountain Plains Crunch Off
Colorado Farm to School Task Force
In 2019, HB19-1202 merged the Colorado Farm to School Task force with the Colorado Food Systems Advisory Council (COFSAC). This will strengthen the work of the Task Force, align priorities with COFSAC and those outlined in the Colorado Blueprint for Food and Agriculture.
Contact Jon Padia for more information.
Farm To School and Farm to Summer Resources
Find Local Products
- Colorado Farmer’s Market
- Colorado Market Maker: The Colorado Market Maker is a resource to find local producers, markets, food, and to build local connections.
- Seasonal Food Guide
- Procuring Local Foods for Child Nutrition Programs
- USDA Procuring Local Foods Resources
- USDA Buying Local Foods Resources
- NFSN Procurement Resources
- Office of School Nutrition Procurement webpage
Education & Curriculum
- Colorado Foundation for Agriculture
- The Colorado Foundation for Agriculture provides a variety of educational materials such as activity sheets, posters, readers and lesson plans.
- Harvest for Healthy Kids
- National Agriculture in the Classroom
- NFSN Education Resources
- Team Nutrition Garden Resources
- USDA Farm to School Education and Curriculum Integration
- Colorado Proud Produce Calendar
- Farm to Summer Tip Sheet
- National Farm to School Network Fact Sheets
- USDA Fact Sheets
- Food Safety Tips for School Gardens
- Fruit and Vegetable Safety
- Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
Toolkits and Manuals
- Boulder Valley Farm to School Manua
- Boulder Valley Garden Manual
- USDA Farm to School Planning ToolKit
- USDA Farm to School Planning Presentations
- Garden to Cafeteria Program Guide
- Whole Kids Foundation: Garden to Cafeteria Toolkit
- National School Garden Network: Garden to Cafeteria Webinar
- My Plate, My State
Farm to School Census
- For more information, visit the Farm to School Census webpage.
- Farm to School Census Worksheet (PDF)
- To find your school, start at Find Your School District and then use the search boxes in middle of the webpage to find your district.
- Colorado Farm to School Task Force
- Colorado Department of Agriculture (CDA)
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) Farm to Child Care in Colorado
- Colorado Department of Human Services- USDA Foods and Department of Defense (DOD) Fresh
- Colorado Foundation for Agriculture
- National Farm to School Network (NFSN)
- USDA Community Food Systems- Farm to School
- USDA Community Food Systems- Farm to Summer
- Farm to School LiveWell Colorado
- Chef Ann Foundation
- Slow Food USA
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- Vermont FEED: A Farm to School Project
- Rocky Mountain Farmers Union
- Colorado Proud School Meal Day
- Colorado Agriculture Council- Day at the Capital
- National Farm to School Month
For more information, contact McKenna Pullen.