You are here
Farm to School and Summer
Farm to School is a program focused on connecting communities to healthy, fresh and local food by influencing change within who and how food is purchased, nutrition and agricultural education and supporting schools in establishing school gardens and agricultural programs.
- The Benefits of Farm to School (PDF)
- Farm to School provides a Win-Win approach, harvesting a life-long impact on kids, farmers and communities.
- Tell Us Your Story
- Your voice, your story and your passion are powerful. Impact and influence Farm to School and Farm to Summer in Colorado by sharing your story.
Farm To School Legislative Updates
Local Food Program
With the passage of Colorado HB-1132 during the 2019 legislative session, the Local Food Program will offer selected School Food Authorities (SFAs) a reimbursement for the purchase of Colorado grown, raised, or processed products. This program encourages SFAs to procure local products, foster nutrition education, bolster farm to child nutrition activities, and support Colorado producers and farmers. SFAs that participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) are eligible to apply for this opportunity. Available funding ($500,000 for SY 20-21) will be distributed as a reimbursement to SFAs that are selected during the application process. CDE will prioritize SFAs that:
- Demonstrate a commitment to local purchasing or food and agricultural education;
- Have a kitchen with the ability to store, prepare, and serve local food products;
- Have greater than 25% of its students eligible for free or reduced-price meals.
Colorado Farm to School Task Force
In 2019, HB19-1202 merged the Colorado Farm to School Task Force with the Colorado Food Systems Advisory Council (COFSAC). This will strengthen the work of the Task Force, align priorities with COFSAC and those outlined in the Colorado Blueprint for Food and Agriculture.
Contact Jon Padia for more information.
Farm To School and Farm to Summer Partner Organizations
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Resources
Learn to build a strong farm to school team, learn about food safety, food and nutrition education, and school gardens as well as how to promote the program.
National Farm to School Network
Resources for school gardens, trainings, fact sheets, and educational materials.
LiveWell Colorado is a core partner of the NFSN and offers networking opportunities and webinars related to farm to school initiatives.
Toolkits and Manuals
Implementing a Farm to School Program
Find Local Products
Education and Curriculum
- Funding Sources Available for Farm to Cafeteria Programs
- AmeriCorps Programs
- Apply here to host an AmeriCorps member at your school to help implement Farm to School and Summer activities.
For more information or if an alternate version of a document is needed, please contact McKenna Pullen.