You are here
Universal Self-Paced Learning Modules
Laying the Foundation
Professional learning content across a wide array of topics through online learning modules can be accessed by individuals or teams. We encourage the use of these basic learning opportunities that have already been developed and made available by credible organizations.
- CONNECT Modules and CONNECT Courses developed by Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute
- The IRIS Center Star Legacy Modules
- The National Center for Pyramid Model Innovations Preschool Training Modules and Technical Assistance
In addition to the three above, there are other national technical assistance centers or state based initiatives that will often meet the basic training needs of general and special education personnel who serve young children. This level of learning is most appropriate for those who are new to their roles, their system, or the fields of early childhood and special education. These are web based learning modules that can be accessed independently or by teams. Many of the modules are self-paced and ideal for individuals. There are also modules designed as training packages that programs may choose to use and offer in a team format. CDE’s role in this level of training will be to direct adult learners to available content.
Early Childhood Recommended Practices Modules (RPMs) are developed for early care and education, early intervention, and early childhood special education faculty and professional development providers to use within their coursework and trainings. These modules are designed to support the implementation of the Division of Early Childhood Recommended Practices. Specifically, there are modules to support the use of all 8 of the DEC Recommended Practice topic areas.
These modules address the DEC Recommended Practices around Environments
These modules address the DEC Recommended Practices of Assessment, Instruction and Interaction
- Weaving Inclusion into Everyday Activities and the related Module 1: Embedded Interventions
- Storybook Conversations and the related Module 6: Dialogic Reading Practices
- All, Some and a Few: Tiered Instruction and the related Module 7: Tiered Instruction
- Evidence-Based Practices (part 1, 2 and 3)
- Early Childhood Behavior Management: Developing and Teaching Rules
- Early Language and Literacy Series (14 Modules)
- The Early Language and Literacy Series of 14 modules is now available in the Professional Development Information System (PDIS) at Colorado Shines. When you register for the series, you register for all 14.
- Module 2: Social-Emotional Teaching Strategies
- Module 3a: Individualized Intensive Interventions: Determining the Meaning of Challenging Behavior
- Module 3b: Individualized Intensive Interventions: Developing a Behavior Support Plan
These modules address the DEC Recommended Practices of Leadership, Family, Teaming and Collaboration and Transition.
- Communication for Professional Collaboration and the related Module 3: Communication for Collaboration
- Better Together: Powerful Family Partnerships and the related Module 4: Family-Professional Partnerships
- Smooth Moves: Program Transitions and the related Module 2: Transition
- Related Services: Common Supports for Students with Disabilities
- Dual Language Learners with Disabilities: Supporting Young Children in the Classroom
- Module 4: Leadership Strategies for Supporting Children's Social and Emotional Development and Addressing Challenging Behavior