Student Course Participation and Achievement Report (H.B. 14-1376)
During the 2014 Legislative Session, the General Assembly passed House Bill 14-1376 which requires the Colorado Department of Education to develop a course level participation and performance report - hereinafter referred to as the Student Course Participation and Achievement report. The legislation recognizes that course-level placement decisions in core courses have a significant impact on a student’ potential to attain proficiency on the statewide assessments in core content areas and to attain postsecondary and workforce readiness.
Per the legislation, the report must include:
- Student participation in each core course level (math, English, science and social science) disaggregated by student groups; and
- When available, the proficiency levels of students in each core course level as measured on the statewide assessments, disaggregated by student groups.
2014-15 and 2015-16 School Years
CDE will work with districts and schools to refine the format and content of the course participation and performance report while the state transitions to new assessments and academic standards. The reports will be in draft format and will only be available for districts to review and use.
2016-17 School Year
Final course participation and performance reports at a summary level will be posted on the department’s website for public access. Districts will have access to more detailed reports through a district log in. Districts and schools are required by the legislation to evaluate the data in the course participation and performance report for either significant disparities in student performance by course level or a disproportionate number of students from specific student groups are enrolled in courses that achieve lower student proficiency level. If the school or district finds data disparities, the school or district must identify strategies to address these disparities in their Unified Improvement Plan.
Progress and Next Steps
- CDE communicated to local area managers (LAMs) about two new roles related to the Student Course Participation and Achievement report.
- LAMs are individuals who are responsible for assigning district and school access to the reports.
- On November 1, CDE will release to districts access to their district-level Student Course Participation and Achievement report through CEDAR.
- Please contact your district LAM if you have questions concerning access, password reset, username, or any other questions concerning log-in.
- Districts can submit access questions to their LAM here.
- CDE will release a school version approximately one week later on November 7.
- Initially, districts will have access to the 2014-15 data.
- CDE will update the reports in early December with 2015-16 data when Student End of Year data are approved and released by districts.
- CDE is not releasing a public version of the Student Course Participation and Achievement report for 2016.
- CDE will release public reports in 2017.