You are here
Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
Office of Learning Supports
The Office of Learning Supports is part of the Teaching and Learning Unit. The mission of the Office of Learning Supports is to support school and district systems development for the effective implementation of multi-tiered frameworks to improve academic and behavioral outcomes for all.
About Colorado Multi-Tiered System of Supports (COMTSS)
COMTSS is a framework applied at all educational levels that uses implementation science to create one integrated system. This system is designed to support the needs of all students. COMTSS is defined as a prevention-based framework of team-driven, data-based problem solving to improve the outcomes of every student through family, school, and community partnering, comprehensive screening and assessment, and a layered continuum of evidence-based practices applied at classroom, school, district, region, and state level.
COMTSS Essential Components
COMTSS consists of 5 essential components. Please click on each link below for more information on each component:
- Team-Driven Shared Leadership
- Data-Based Problem Solving and Decision-Making
- Family, School, and Community Partnerships
- Comprehensive Screening and Assessment System
- Layered Continuum of Supports
At the district or regional level, leadership teams build infrastructure that supports the implementation of the five components of MTSS. The building of this infrastructure includes:
- Identifying and aligning key priorities;
- Securing funding, resources, and time to implement those priorities;
- Developing training and coaching structures to support personnel with implementation, and
- Gathering data to evaluate the implementation and impact of the key priorities
At the school level, building teams implement their identified priorities and build a tiered system that fits their respective context. School teams identify the fidelity and student outcomes they wish to achieve and then identify the data needed to monitor progress toward those outcomes. They also outline the practices used at each tier, as well as the systems that enable staff to both implement the identified practices and to gather the required data.
For more information on the Office of Learning Supports, contact us at COMTSS@cde.state.co.us.