You are here
2021-2022 READ Act Instructional Programming Review Process
The Colorado Reading to Ensure Academic Development Act (READ Act), passed by the Colorado legislature in 2012, focuses on early literacy development for all students kindergarten through third grade and especially for students at risk of not reaching grade level proficiency in reading by the end of third grade. Included in the READ Act is the requirement that the department create an advisory list of evidence-based or scientifically based instructional programming in reading, pursuant to C.R.S. 22-7-1209.
The main purpose of the READ Act Advisory List of Instructional Programming is to provide districts and schools with a choice of instructional programming that adequately enhances teacher quality and is a major vehicle that schools/districts can utilize to upgrade their capacity as it relates to the implementation of evidence-based literacy practices.
During each review cycle, new providers have the opportunity to be added to the advisory list. The review is a two part process for vendors to submit instructional programs: core, supplemental and intervention, to be reviewed for inclusion on the Colorado Department of Education READ Act Advisory List.
CDE reserves the right to make revisions or changes to this process as needed. Vendors are expected to stay alert for notifications from CDE during the review process.
The CDE process for review of instructional programming materials for inclusion on the READ Act Advisory List of Instructional Programming follows these steps:
- Part I – Letter of Intent to Apply
- Part II – Program Review
- Programs must meet the Part I – Letter of Intent to Apply criteria to receive the Part II – Program Review application from CDE.
- Appeal Window
- Instructional Programming Advisory List posted on the CDE website
Note: To be included on the Instructional Programming Advisory List programs must be reviewed during this review window.
Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply
The Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply for inclusion on the provider list for instructional programming is now open.
Vendors interested in submitting instructional programs for the 2021-2022 Instructional Programming Review must submit a Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply by November 5, 2021, at 4:00 PM MT. Vendors who do not submit the Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply will not be eligible to submit programming for review.
A Technical Assistance Webinar was held on Thursday, October 21, 2021.
Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply submissions due Friday, November 5, 2021 at 4:00 PM MT
Volunteer Reviewer Application
The CDE Preschool Through Third Grade Office is seeking volunteer reviewers to apply to take part in the process of review of Instructional Programming aligned to the READ Act. Initial reviews will be conducted virtually on multiple days in January 2022.
Reimbursement and authorization for credit hours for participation will not be provided for this volunteer opportunity.
The volunteer reviewer application will close December 15, 2021.
Instructional Program Review Timeline
- October 18, 2021: Vendor Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply Window Opens
- November 5, 2021: Vendor Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply Window Closes
- November 15, 2021: Vendor Part II - Program Review Application Window Opens
- December 15, 2021: Vendor Part II - Program Review Application Window Closes
- January 5-28, 2022: CDE Review of Instructional Program Applications
- February 1-15, 2022: Vendor Appeal Submission Window
- February 15-March 15, 2022: CDE Review of Appeal Submissions
- March 25, 2022: Advisory List of Instructional Programs Posted to CDE Website
*Please note: If unforeseen circumstances arise, the review window may be adjusted.
For questions, please contact READAct@cde.state.co.us.