You are here
Providing Secondary Transition Services During COVID-19
Secondary Transition Office Hours
Gail Lott will offer office hours on the following Wednesdays:
- January 20, 2021 from 2:30pm to 4:30 pm
- February 3, 2021 from 10:00 am to 12 pm
- February 17, 2021 from 3:30 to 4:30 pm
- March 3, 2021 - Cancelled
- April 14, 2021 from 3:30 to 4:30 pm
- April 28, 2021 from 3:30 to 4:30 pm
Registrations must be completed by 10:00 am the day before (Tuesday) each Wednesday office hours session.
The CDE Secondary Transition Team is committed to supporting schools and families during these unique times. To ease your burden of finding and selecting secondary transition resources, we have collected resources and tools specific to secondary transition that may be useful as you plan for students.
The following resources are offered for consideration during the time of remote instruction due to COVID-19. This list is not comprehensive of all possible resources. The listed resources are provided for information only. The Colorado Department of Education does not endorse, represent, or warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information, content, services, or other materials provided by these educational service providers. Any reliance upon any information, content, materials, products, services, or vendors included on or found through this listing shall be at the discretion of the user.
- 50 Videos for Career Path Explorations From the arts to science to religion, introduce students to a variety of careers with KQED, BAVC and Salesforce resources. Use these videos to inspire young people to discover careers and explore possible career paths.
- CareerOneStop video collection CareerOneStop's video collection allows individuals to learn about careers, industries, skills and abilities, or work options and education levels.
- Indiana Secondary Transition Resource Center The website includes a wide variety of short career exploration videos. Some demonstrate the job activities and the type of workplace environment employees would be expected to work in; others interview an employee about their work, their career preparation, and what they enjoy about working in their fields.
- Next Vista for Learning - Career videos 1000s of videos about various careers such as health and fitness, history and culture, math, performing arts, etc.
- Pennsylvania CareerZone This is a state-supported career exploration and planning system designed to support career and college readiness.
Return to Top
- Center for Parent Information & Resources – Coping Tips and Other Useful Info (scroll down to the section on some coping resources) Guidance to support youth during COVID-19.
- Stop Learning Loss – Special Education Resources This is a place for parents and teachers across the United States to work together, to collaboratively build out a database of educational resources, materials, and activities so that no parent or teacher is on their own.
Return to Top
- Checklist to Prepare Student for Involvement in Virtual IEP Meeting (PDF)
- Project 10 Transition Education Network - Online Transition-Related Resources (PDF) This list of resources supports teachers and transition stakeholders who are teaching and providing transition services to students with disabilities through distance learning methods.
- Virtual Learning Resource Lab A variety on resources assemble by the Arizona Department of Education to assist teachers to plan for non-traditional instruction including synchronous and asynchronous teaching and learning.
- Secondary Transition Resources for students with ASD The resources on this page were developed with guidance from a technical work group (TWG) of national experts in autism.
- Autism Focused Intervention Resources & Modules – Build New Routines It may also be necessary to create new routines during this time, as there are many new demands of caregivers—possibly homeschooling for the first time, continuing to work in/out of the home, and/or caring for multiple children or other family members. Several new routines that may be helpful are described here.
- AFIRM COVID-19 Toolkit Supporting individuals with ASD through uncertain times using 7 support strategies.
Return to Top
- Project 10 Transition Education Network These resources provide information and resources for school professionals, students and families regarding independent living options and strategies for students with disabilities. Resources are included for financial literacy, health, housing, leisure and recreation, and transportation.
- Self-Determination – I’m determined Focuses on providing direct instruction, models, and opportunities to practice skills associated with self-determined behavior. This project facilitates youth, especially those with disabilities to undertake a measure of control in their lives, helping to set and steer the course rather than remaining the silent passenger.
- Zarrow Center for Learning Enrichment – Self-Awareness, Self-Advocacy, and Self-Determination Transition education resources to build students’ self-awareness, self-advocacy, and self-determination.
Return to Top
- Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students (PDF) This U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights Fact Sheet reminds school officials about the need to protect students during the COVID-19 outbreak, and emphasizes the obligation for schools to avoid discrimination based on disability.
- DCDT Webcast Resources COVID-19 A collection of materials and websites from the Division on Career Development and Transition (DCDT) focused on tools for distance learning.
- Providing Transition-Services for Students with Disabilities during the COVID-19 Outbreak This webpage hosts resources from the U.S. Department of Education and other relevant federal agencies. Also on this website are two recorded webinars – Transition Activities at Home (video) and this video specifically focused on students with complex support needs – as well as additional online resources and instructional tips.
- Strategies for Providing Remote Employment Supports (video) This Association of People Supporting Employment First (APSE) recorded webinar gives guidance about how job coaches can use virtual technology to support their clients. It includes strategies for providing remote employment supports.
- Teaching Special Education Online During COVID-19 In this Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) webinar, veteran online instructors help identify steps to move online and strategies for adapting the lessons already in motion to this new format.
- Texas Sensory Support Network – Virtual Activities for Teachers and Families COVID-19 This Livebinder provides instructional resources including best practices for remote learning, virtual field trips, self-advocacy skills for students who are DHH, and lesson plans, schedules and activities as well as free family resources.
Return to Top
- Indiana Secondary Transition Resource Center Postsecondary Education Resources The resources listed include a variety of publications, links to helpful organizations, fact sheets, and checklists pertaining to students with disabilities who are either planning to attend or who are exploring the possibilities of attending college after graduating from high school.
- Project 10 Transition Education Network Assist students with disabilities to participate in postsecondary options that fit their interests and aptitudes.
Return to Top
- Indiana Secondary Transition Assessment Matrix You may choose assessment tools by topic area, grade level of the study, and disability type. The matrix will bring up all assessments that match your selected criterion.
- Arizona Department of Education - Age-Appropriate Transition Assessments Padlet This padlet offers a variety of secondary transition assessments for all levels of independence in all areas for secondary transition.
- Wisconsin Transition Improvement Grant Age-Appropriate Transition Assessments and Activities: Live Binders A compilation of a variety of free and low-cost comprehensive secondary transition assessments in all areas of secondary transition.
- National Technical Assistance Center on Transition - Age Appropriate Transition Assessment Toolkit (PDF) This toolkit provides an explanation of transition assessment, explains why transition assessments should be conducted, how to select transition assessment tools, and how to conduct transition age-appropriate transition assessment. In addition, it provides examples of informal and formal transition assessments.
Return to Top
- Establishing a Remote Learning Environment and Routine (Google Doc) The following are tips for establishing a positive environment and routine to promote productivity and consistency.
- If I had to do it over again/ what they wish I knew (Google Doc) Advice from international educators who are on prolonged online learning due to school closures.
- Keiser University Multidisciplinary Center (Google Doc) Helpful online math, language arts, science, general academic, social studies, transition, and virtual tour resources.
- NTACT Improving Postsecondary Outcomes for All Students with Disabilities (PDF) Addresses the challenges of educating at home and online. Service quick guides and resources for all areas of secondary transition.
- Supporting Transition for Youth Using Online Platforms (Wisconsin Transition Improvement Grant) This padlet provides various resources and strategies to teachers to support youth during the COVID-19.
- Leisure, Exercise and Creativity – Free resources for exploring new hobbies amidst social distancing (Google Doc) A collection of no-cost activities that are available to engage students in leisure activities and exercise during remote learning.
- Virtual Learning: Establishing a Remote Learning Environment and Routine School Virtually School Virtually provides resources for educators and families to support students during distance and online learning, including an educator webinar for designing engaging online lessons and a webinar for parents providing guidance to create supportive environments for learning at home.
Return to Top
Gail Lott, M.A.
Email Gail Lott
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.