You are here
Five-Year Substitute Teacher Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking a 5-year substitute teacher authorization. To qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization:
- In-state applicants must hold or have held a Colorado teacher license (ECE-12). (Holders of Colorado SSPs, principal or administrator licenses and CTE authorizations should apply for a three-year or one-year substitute authorization.)
- Out-of-state applicants must hold a valid, unexpired (non-Colorado) teacher license.
- Other educator licenses (including alternative, special service, principal and administrator), substitute authorizations, temporary licenses, post-secondary licenses, statements of eligibility, etc., are not considered licenses for this purpose.
- Applicants who are eligible to hold an out-of-state license should consult the other checklists.
- Important Note: If you do not meet the requirements as specified above or if you are seeking a 1-year, 3-year or 2020-2021 authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection. Once an application is submitted, we cannot change the type of credential issued (for example, we cannot issue a 3-year substitute authorization in response to an application for a 5-year substitute authorizaton). Please be certain when completing the application that you meet the requirements for the type requested.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
5 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Out-of-state applicants: You will need a copy of your current (unexpired) teaching license.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past five (5) years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Select the Substitute Authorization application to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.