You are here
Advancing from an Interim to Initial Principal License
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking to advance from an interim to an initial principal (not administrator) license. If you already hold an initial or professional principal license in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
3 years from date of issue
- In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for this type of application.
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Obtain the results for any CDE-accepted PLACE or Praxis exams you have passed.
( View accepted PLACE content exams )
( View accepted Praxis content exams )
- Optionally, obtain proof you have completed a CDE-approved induction program.
- If you provide proof you have completed an induction program and you have met all other requirements, you may be issued a Colorado professional license instead of an initial license after you submit your application online.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.
Then, select the application titled "Principal" to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.