You are here
Highly Effective Schools Through Libraries: Every Student Succeeds
The focus of the Highly Effective Schools Through Libraries (HESTL) is two-fold:
- To provide guidance for K-12 educators as they facilitate student achievement and preparation for 21st century success, and,
- To recognize outstanding school library programs and librarians.
Our goal is that all schools will have highly-qualified teacher librarians and communities (parents, students, administrators, and fellow educators) who value an exemplary teacher-librarian and library program in order to help students and staff thrive in school and beyond.
To earn highly effective status principals and teacher librarians complete applications for five exemplars, using the HESTL rubric as a guide. After earning all five exemplars, the school will acquire the "Highly Effective Schools Through Libraries" designation.
- The HESTL Rubric 2020 provides a more structural way to evaluate the strengths and areas of growth for library staff, library spaces, and library programs.
- The HESTL Guidance for Growth 2020 provides a more conceptual way to evaluate the strengths and areas of growth for library staff, library spaces, and library programs.
- Guidance/Reflection Questions for HESTL Rubric 2020 and HESTL Guidance for Growth
- Teacher-librarians, administrators, and library staff are invited to use either (or both) of these documents as a teacher evaluation supplement and a way to evaluate all aspects of a K-12 library and program.
- Growth Plan (DOCX)
- Growth Plan (PDF)
- School Librarians as Learning Leaders: An Administrator's Guide (PDF)
Highly Effective Recognition
Teacher librarians collaborate with their principal to earn up to five credentials in the areas listed below. These forms are designed as a guide for principals and/or evaluators to determine when the teacher-librarian earns the credential.
Here are some suggestions for exemplar evidence.
Highly Effective - Planning - (Use both "Planning" components to earn this exemplar.)
A highly effective teacher librarian develops effective plans for the library program. Annual review of school focus goals, library data and collaborative input from the school community is part of developing a plan of action for continuous quality improvement. Planning Exemplar Application
Highly Effective - Instructional Specialist - (Use all three "Instructional Specialist" components to earn this exemplar.)
The highly effective teacher librarian designs and implements lessons and assessments that meaningfully integrate 21st Century Learning Standards, Colorado Academic Standards, and digital literacy skills through direct instruction and collaboration with content teachers. Instructional Specialist Exemplar Application
Highly Effective - Leadership - (Use both "Leadership" components to earn this exemplar.)
As a leader, the highly effective teacher librarian promotes collaboration and creative problem solving. The teacher librarian influences staff and students to embrace a growth mindset by demonstrating lifelong learning in practice. Leadership Exemplar Application
Highly Effective - Library Environment - (Select two "Environment" components to earn this exemplar.)
The highly effective teacher librarian establishes a safe, inclusive and respectful learning environment for a diverse population of students. The school library space is open, warm welcoming; it is flexibly designed to meet a wide variety of needs as well as to foster learning and curiosity. Library Environment Exemplar Application
Highly Effective - Library Management - (Select two "Management" components to earn this exemplar.)
The highly effective school library and library staff believes that print, multimedia, and electronic materials are core ingredients for building a foundation for literacy, reading pleasure, and research skills. A strong collection: 1) includes professionally selected print and digital resources that are easily accessible, align to curriculum, foster independent reading needs, and reflect diverse points of view; and 2) is regularly weeded to create a viable and current collection, resulting in an aesthetically pleasing environment that facilitates and encourages users to select relevant materials. Library Management Exemplar Application
Highly Effective School Library Past Recipients
- 2016 - Present: Highly Effective Schools Through Libraries (HESTL) Recognition Recipients - Colorado teacher-librarians who have earned all 5 HESTL credentials and HESTL banner
- 2015 HESL Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- 2014 HESL Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- 2013 Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- 2012 HESL Recognition Recipients (PDF)
*See 2-3 minute video clips embedded in 5 of the competencies.
For more information about the Highly Effective School Library Program, contact:
Tammy Langeberg, Highly Effective School Library Coordinator