You are here
Restraint Complaints Process - Text Version
Receipt of complaint by the Colorado Department of Education's State Complaints Office (SCO)
Route the complaint to the appropriate office:
- If IDEA-related, complaint remains with the SCO for processing by the: Dispute Resolution Office, Exceptional Student Services Unit
- If not IDEA-related, within 5 calendar days of the complaint's receipt, the SCO refers it to: Restraint Complaint Office, Dropout Prevention and Student Re-engagement Office
Accept or reject the complaint:
- Within 10 calendar days of the receipt of the complaint, which could include a postmark of mailed notices on the 10th day, the CDE investigating office decides to accept or reject the complaint. If accepted, the office will: 1) notify the complainant, and 2) notify the involved Public Education Agency (PEA) about the allegation together with a complete copy of the complaint, and 3) initiate an investigation.
PEA may file a response to CDE office:
- Within 15 calendar days of the Public Education Agency's receipt of CDE's notification of the complaint, the Public Education Agency may file with the investigating CDE office a response to the complaint allegations and may provide additional information which it deems necessary and useful to CDE's investigation. The agency shall provide a copy of the response to the complainant.
Complainant may file a response to PEA:
- Within 10 calendar days of the delivery of the Public Education Agency's response, the complainant may file a written reply to the Public Education Agency's response in support of his/her position. The complainant must also provide a complete copy of the reply, to the Public Education Agency.
If the CDE investigating office finds exceptional circumstances warrant doing so, and prior to the expiration of the specified deadlines, it may extend the above stated timelines.