The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) reviews all requests for individual-level data or Personally Identifiable Information (PII). This includes requests to use PII for reserach purposes or other purposes unrelated to research. Per Colorado's Student Data Transparency and Security Act (C.R.S. 22-16-101 et.al), CDE is required to put in place a procedure to review requests for Personally Identifiable Information being used for research purposes. This process must be approved by the State Board of Education and CDE gained that approval on September 14, 2016. Here is the presentation discussing that process (PDF).
Procedure for requesting individual-level data or PII
- Complete the Personally Identifiable Information Request Form (DOC).
- Review the Research Data Sharing Agreement Template (DOC) to confirm that you are able to comply with our requirements.
- Submit the completed form with required attachments to DataRequests@cde.state.co.us.
- CDE will review the request according to the process outlined in the above presentation.
- CDE does not approve every request for PII that will be used for research purposes. Because of this, we recommend that you do not make any commitments to use CDE data prior to getting approval through this process.
- CDE can no longer provide student names for any research request.
- CDE Education Statistics
- CDE Assessment Unit
- NIH Information Security and Privacy Training Courses
- Overview of CDE Collections
Aggregate and Suppressed Data Requests
For data requests involving school- or district-level aggregate data that has been properly redacted to avoid the identification of individual students, go to CDE Aggregate Data Requests.