Pursuant to C.R.S. 22-54-124, each year the State Education Fund and a percentage of the marijuana excise tax provides an appropriation for Charter School and Institute Charter School Capital Construction. The purpose of this funding is to promote a safe and healthy learning environment for all Colorado students. The funding can be used by the Charter School or Institute Charter School to pay for school construction, renovation, maintaining, financing, or the purchasing or leasing of facilities.
All Charter Schools and Institute Charter Schools in the state must submit an eligibility questionnaire to the Division. The Division historically requests the certification of "Charter School Capital Construction Funding Eligibility Questionnaire" after the October 1 pupil counts. The funds are distributed on a per FTE basis and the final FTE count is taken directly from the October 1 pupil count data submitted by the district to the Division. The funds are distributed on a monthly basis; the first six months calculate the distribution amount per charter school based on FTE projections provided by the charter school. Annually in February, adjustments are made to the distribution schedule to reflect actual FTE provided in the October 1 pupil count data.
This year $29.25 million is appropriated: $20 million in funding comes from the State Education fund, and is currently the statutory maximum which the program can receive from the fund. In addition to this, the Charter School Capital Construction grant program receives 12.5% of marijuana excise tax revenues which the BEST grant program receives. For the FY18-19 cycle, this 12.5% includes: $5 million from $40 million in excise tax revenues received by the BEST program in FY17-18 plus $4.25 million from an additional one-time appropriation of $34 million to the BEST program.
Based on projected FTE for FY18-19, the distribution schedule calculates a per FTE amount of $291.05.
For additional information, e-mail: Anna Fitzer
Opportunities and Announcements
- Considering applying for BEST? Read important details for Charter Schools here...(pdf)
- CSCC-02 Eligibility Questionnaire FY2017-18(pdf) (due 12/04/2017)
BEST Case Studies
- CSCC FY2018-19 Fund Distribution (excel) (updated 07/03/18)
- CSCC FY2017-18 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2016-17 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2015-16 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2014-15 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2013-14 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2012-13 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2011-12 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2010-11 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2009-10 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2008-09 Fund Distribution(excel)
- CSCC FY2007-08 Fund Distribution(excel)