Adult Education and Family Literacy (AEFL) Week
Happy Adult Education and Family Literacy (AEFL) Week!
Adult education professionals are so grateful to have September 26-October 1 declared by members of Congress. The purpose of the week is to celebrate the contributions of adult education, English language, and family literacy programs as well as raise awareness about the importance of and the need for adult education and family literacy.
September is also Colorado Workforce Development Month! Adult education and workforce operate within the same system to ensure individuals get the education and training they need to obtain career goals and better support their families and communities. This webpage serves as a hub for resources, as well as adult learner and adult education program success stories in Colorado.
Share these documents electronically, drop hard copies off in your communities, utilize them in upcoming meetings. We hope you find them useful during and after AEFL week!
- AEFL Need and Impact Document: We gathered national and state data to put this document together. Tip: If you choose to print, print the document double-sided. The fact sheet is one page with references on the back.
- Top 5 Ways to Support AEFL: Everyone can support AEFL, and this document gives ideas as to how.
Adult Learner Success Stories
Beatriz Barbosa attended English as a Second Language classes through the Montrose Adult Education Center for several years then went on to obtain her GED Certificate. In May of 2013, she received a special award for her “dedication and perseverance" to finish her GED studies as during that year she was attending classes, studying at home, recovering from a severe automobile accident, raising her two young sons, and continuing her job at a local motel to support her family.
Beatriz helped start off the school year 2016 to 2017 for adult English students with a motivational speech that she wrote out in both Spanish and English and delivered in both languages. Beatriz encourages adults who need more education to take advantage of the opportunities available to learn English and/or improve educational skills.
Adult Education Partnership Success Stories
Right to Read of Weld County (R2R) recently entered a partnership with the Global Refugee Center (GRC), a local non-profit whose primary focus is helping refugees and immigrants with the resettlement process. The collaboration has helped both agencies improve service delivery: R2R does all of the instruction for students at both organizations, and the GRC provides community navigation and interpretation services to students at both organizations. In a continued effort to make the most of this symbiotic relationship, R2R and GRC decided to share space. Sharing space has resulted in more comprehensive, streamlined, wrap-around services for students. They can attend English classes and meet with a navigator to discuss an employment application, schedule a doctor's appointment, or get clarity on the bus schedule all in the same hallway. The centralized location also makes it easier for other partners like Employment Services of Weld County, Lutheran Family Services, Weld County Food Bank, UNC/Aims, and High Plains Library District to visit hundreds of adults who can benefit from their respective agencies at one place. Students have access to high quality education and myriad of other community services in a convenient location with a team of wonderful instructors and navigators to work alongside them.
State and National Resources
These resources provide a wide range of information including: facts about the need and impact of adult education, ideas about how to celebration AEFL week in your community or get involved, the need for a skilled workforce to fill jobs in Colorado, Colorado performance data, and an adult education and family literacy program directory .
Colorado Adult Education Professional Association http://www.caepa.org/
Colorado Department of Education-Adult Education Initiatives Office
- Federal Grant (AEFLA) Fact Sheet http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/assestraining
- Federal Grant Annual Performance Report http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/apr
- Federal Grantee Referral Guide http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/16-17referralguide
- Program Directory: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/aefldirectory
- State Grant (AELA) Fact Sheet http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/assestraining
- 2014-15 Adult Education and Literacy Evaluation Report: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/aelaevalrpt
Colorado Workforce Development Council
- Colorado Talent Pipeline Report https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cwdc/colorado-talent-pipeline-report
Commission on Adult Basic Education (COABE)
- Adult Education is Needed Now http://www.coabe.org/adult-education-is-needed-now/
- AEFL Week http://www.coabe.org/aefl-week/
- Fact Sheets http://www.coabe.org/factsheets/
Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce-Colorado Summaries https://cew.georgetown.edu/states/colorado/
National Coalition for Literacy
- AEFL Fact Sheet http://national-coalition-literacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2016-08_AEFL-Flyer.pdf
- AEFL Week http://national-coalition-literacy.org/2016/04/national-adult-education-family-literacy-week/
LINCS Learner Center LINCS Learner Center
- AEFL Week Toolkit 2016 https://www.proliteracy.org/Portals/0/pdf/ProLiteracy_AEFLWeek_Toolkit_2016.pdf
- Adult Literacy Facts: https://www.proliteracy.org/Resources/Adult-Literacy-Facts
United States Census Bureau
- American Community Survey https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/
If you have any questions contact Jessica Fuller at email@example.com